Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Alliant AR-COMP Powder

Davidp1911

"We have confirmed is a double-base extruded powder"

Most people lose interest as soon as they see that its an extruded powder and not a ball powder, if you are bulk loading its just too much of a hassle to use an extruded powder.

I'd have to actually *see* some. Don't discount it just because it's extruded. Fine extruded powders like Benchmark, H322, N133 and the like meter just fine in just about any sort of measure. If it's like Varget on the other hand.........forget it!

Not totally true regarding Varget. There was an article in the Blue Press some time ago about the AZ Jr. Highpower team loading with Varget & they were loading LOTS of rounds. Dillon may have the issue on file if you are interested.

Not totally true regarding Varget. There was an article in the Blue Press some time ago about the AZ Jr. Highpower team loading with Varget & they were loading LOTS of rounds. Dillon may have the issue on file if you are interested.

I've done my own testing of Varget as well as a host of other extruded powders for weight variation when thrown from powder measures. At the time I was comparing a Redding BR30 against a Harrell measure. Extreme spreads with Varget approached four tenths of a grain, which was just too much for my small-cased application. Benchmark stayed just under two tenths extreme spread.

But the other thing is cutting those large granules, I just can't see it working well in a Dillon, and it's a PITA in a drum type measure. These days, I just don't use powders I can't throw directly from the measure. Not saying those AZ shooters didn't make it work, but I stay away from it for any volume loading.

Sorry about the thread drift, if anybody has seen AR-Comp I'd like to know how large the granules are compared to other common powders

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got some and it is just a little shorter than varget. metered within 2 10ths

just sent 3 rounds down range so far so good, to sunny for the chrono to get a

speed.

Do you mind snapping a picture or two of the powder? We are all curious about the grain size.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...