Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My 5 inch Briley

RobertDFranks

Its been months but I decided to post a pic of my 5 inch Briley. Originally I took them a 6 inch frame to do a build on and decided last moment to do a 5 inch bushing gun so I had them chop it and go from there. Its black on black, tri-topped - which starts to blend in just after the rear sight and runs all the way to the muzzle. Don't see too many 5 inch bushing guns with local shooters. Pistol shoots great and runs like a clock, wonderful folks at Briley and a company with a great heritage. After meeting with Claudio Salassa for about an hour I decided to have them do some work on a benelli to make it 3 gun material. Most of all I was suprised to see they already had limited packages on shotguns in their showroom - Winchester's, Benelli's, and Beretta's. I'll post pics of the shotgun when I get it back.

post-27944-006153600 1306430119_thumb.jp

post-27944-080274500 1306430133_thumb.jp

Here is another view, albeit a little fuzzy, pic taken pre installation of magwell. It shows the slide profile from the top. Its the way Claudio presently cuts and machines his slides on the Signature Series package. When I met with him to go through the work up, he described what he did and even was nice enough to walk me through some of the machine shop and show me some other pistol projects he was working on. The slide design was unique so I was all for it. Sean Gaines' 6 inch pisol has similar slide cuts. He has pics posted on the Forum somewhere - I'm sure you can do a search and see it.

post-27944-010715800 1306443333_thumb.jp

post-27944-076360900 1306443348_thumb.jp

I got to play with this gun before Robert actually took possesion of it. I must say that if I were to do a long dust cover again. I would definately look at doing a bushing gun, just like this one. The gun points like a champ! Heavy bottom end with a lightend top end. I am sure the gun shoots pretty flat with 180's or even 200gr bullets. Robert you are going to have to let me take a test drive with this one!!!

I don't know what it is about those guns, I've always liked the style. A local shooter has one and I've always admired it.

yes they are pretty sexy guns, and what you will find is the cost of these guns are not to far off what a tuned "edge" would cost, except that it has all machine work plus all the premium bells and whistles that you will find in most expensive custom gun.

...And the Reason they can make their pistols inexpensively is they manufacture most of their parts in house. Whereas your other custom gunsmiths, have to buy parts at dealer price and then stick them into your gun build, and they charge you retail for the parts + labor. They have 50-100 of each part sitting in a bin ready for your build. Which keeps the cost down a tremendous amount. I have been shooting one of their 6" Signature Series pistols for a little over a year now, and its the best iron sighted gun I have ever shot. The gun is extremly flat shooting,and the accuracy is exceptional, and I have not had one issue with the gun, Knock on Wood. It will actually feed short rounds and long ammunition. Their head gunsmith is Claudio Salassa, learned under Paul Liebenberg in South Africa. For those who don't know who Paul is, he developed the "Performance Center" at Smith and Wesson, and also was instrumental in developing the .40S&W cartridge that we and law enforcement use today. So thats a pretty good guy to learn your craft from.

Wow what a nice build.

Is the company called Briley? How was the turnaround time for the build? Where are they based out of?

The company is Briley, Mfg. they are based in Houston, they are well known for their Shotgun chokes and modifications to shotgun, as well as accessories. They built alot of handguns in the mid to late 90's up until around 2003 and they tapered it off due to the success of their shotgun business, handguns were put on the back burner. They are now expanding and getting back into pistol business as well as the 3gun market. Turnaround time on a Signature Series pistol is around 8 weeks. Price is around $2250?, which is rediculous for a brand new custom gun.

Yes. Briley. I missed the R in the title of my post on accident. Turnaround time seemend longer than it was, but only because it was a custom build and I never had a pistol built - its not as fast as sitting down and getting a haircut. But in comparison to what I have seen with others, its relatively quick as Sean said - around 8 weeks. TT&L (tax title and license) cost has some flucutuation depending on what mods you want in addition to the package - which they will do. - like I went Dawson magwell with black insert and changed out the original white insert, had the weak side safety trimmed off.

What soothed the wait was that Claudio kept me posted on the build whenever I asked and was rather prompt in response. I picked it up in person and Claudio walked me though the build again and said keep him posted how it ran and let him know if I needed anything with it in the future.

Very nice 5", my next pistol build will be with Claudio but currently I'm patiently waiting on Claudio to finish my benelli m2 21".

hey scott,

I'll check on it for you, I am heading up there today. I will pm you with the info.

• 6 months later...