Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PORTED BARREL OR COMPENSATOR

steel3924

I thinking about playing around with an open gun. I shoot production and Limited and I am having a great time. Open would be something just to do different.

I have a Glock 34, so before I get the KKM barrel with a compensator I was thinking about a ported barrel, I have not shot either.

thanks

I thinking about playing around with an open gun. I shoot production and Limited and I am having a great time. Open would be something just to do different.

I have a Glock 34, so before I get the KKM barrel with a compensator I was thinking about a ported barrel, I have not shot either.

thanks

do a google search on SJC Convertible Compensator Mount (I don't work for em). He has some good plug and play and he considered an expert.

There are some less expensive ways to go. G17 and a few parts. Look at Jager products.

SJC makes a "stealth" mount but you can't run full 9MM major loads through it according to their website.

However, I would go with a comp instead of a ported barrel. Much more effecient when venting the gasses which will help keep the muzzle down better than a ported barrel.

Save a lot of potential trouble and go with a comp. I went the ported barrel route with a G34 which seemed to work fine until the up until then flawless gun started jamming. The ported KKM barrel did just fine with muzzle rise, but it was so violent on recoil with my major 9 ammo in the lightweight Glock that it started actually bouncing rounds up and out of the mags and caused endless feeding issues (good extra power mag springs in the mags). I swapped the ported barrel out for a 4-port comped KKM barrel and that ended the feeding issues, plus the gun is much more comfortable to shoot.

I have two Open Glock 17's. One with a steel compensated IGB Austria barrel. The second gun has a 7 1/2 inch IGB barrel with five ports at the end. The steel comp gun is slightly softer to shoot but the ported one has the advantage of easy stripping for cleaning, no removing and re-loctite the compensator.

Both are EXTREMELY reliable with no issues. Nothing to chose in the accuracy stakes.

Edited by malagamarksman