Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C-More mount selection

Pro2AInPA

I'm looking suggestions for a vertical C-More mount that fits a couple of criteria for me:

1. Sits fairly low close to the slide. I'm not sure how much lower one is than the next, but I know a few of them have to be lower than the STI mount.

2. I'd like to find the mount that sits the furthest forward on the gun. My gun doesn't have a slide racker and can't have one added very easily (too much material removed from the slide to add a dovetail) so I need to be able to easily get a hold of the rear slide serrations.

3. A mount with a built in blast shield would be nice.

Any of the mounts on the market fit all three of these?

On a side note, please don't turn this into a vertical vs sideways mount thread. We already have plenty of those threads. I'm looking for a traditional vertical mount.

One word of caution - your #2 and #3 are in conflict. If you have popple holes, getting closer to them will mean the blast shield will not last too long. My advice is to consider the separate shield, so you would not need to replace the whole mount. Without seeing your gun one can't be sure, but on my new gun the shield is already almost gone. On my other gun with the Allchin mount I had to file the shield regularly, and it is getting to the point where I am about to simply cut off the shield and go separate as well.

High or low doesn't really matter when you go with an upright mount. You are already higher than a sideways mount, therefore you give up that advantage right off the bat.

2nd is if the gun is built right you will never* need a slideracker .............. ie: no jams = no slideracker needed. I just finished shooting the Ohio sectional, and after 9 stages, 234 rounds plus a few makeup shots, I never needed my slide racker. You can learn to adapt to shooting without one. The only disadvantage you take is on unloaded start stages, and how many (seriously) of those do we have? 1 per match? We had NO unloaded stages at Ohio this year. The potential is there, but it's a small percentage.

One word of caution - your #2 and #3 are in conflict. If you have popple holes, getting closer to them will mean the blast shield will not last too long. My advice is to consider the separate shield, so you would not need to replace the whole mount. Without seeing your gun one can't be sure, but on my new gun the shield is already almost gone. On my other gun with the Allchin mount I had to file the shield regularly, and it is getting to the point where I am about to simply cut off the shield and go separate as well.

It's a 5" gun with no holes

http://www.predatortactical.com/Predator-C-more-Side-Mount-p377.html

that's the mount i have on my open guns the dot sits very low to the gun and like chriss said you shouldn't need one. I shot the ohio sectional this weekend as well and with 1 nose dive in my gun I did not have any need for a slide racker (I don't have one on my gun either) reaching the slide is more of a technique thing :cheers: post pics of your blaster when you pick one

ETA- the sideways mounts props the gun up like the wings do

Edited by TRUbor9

You can learn to adapt to shooting without one. The only disadvantage you take is on unloaded start stages, and how many (seriously) of those do we have? 1 per match? We had NO unloaded stages at Ohio this year. The potential is there, but it's a small percentage.

and to the second part of that quote, not many but there are plenty of surrender position starts :P

that's the mount i have on my open guns the dot sits very low to the gun and like chriss said you shouldn't need one. I shot the ohio sectional this weekend as well and with 1 nose dive in my gun I did not have any need for a slide racker (I don't have one on my gun either) reaching the slide is more of a technique thing :cheers: post pics of your blaster when you pick one

. . . . the original post made it fairly clear that I'm looking for a vertical mount, not a sideways mount. The gun has a sideways mount on it now. I'm going back to a vertical mount.

2nd is if the gun is built right you will never* need a slideracker .............. ie: no jams = no slideracker needed.

Um... that's a rather bold and sweeping statement. And it's also wrong for a number of people. I agree that a properly built gun is paramount. A number of folks tend to rub the slide with their strong (and sometimes weak) thumb, and they run a thumb shield or a Swenson as a preventative measure. The gun is built perfectly fine - due to the shooter's anatomy, the construction of the gun, and the mechanics of establishing a high grip, their thumb ends up in a position to apply force to the slide. It is what it is. In that situation, you have no choice but to run a racker - you can't rack it via the front of the slide due to the mount, and you can't grip the rear of the slide. This, BTW, is exactly why there's a racker on my gun...

We had NO unloaded stages at Ohio this year. The potential is there, but it's a small percentage.

Because the OH Sectional was of course comprehensive and represents a broad cross section of the challenges you're likely to see in all matches, right? ;) I've shot recent matches that had 3-4 unloaded starts - and if you decided to shoot an IPSC match, you'll find a great affinity to various "no round in chamber" type of starts.

. . . . the original post made it fairly clear that I'm looking for a vertical mount, not a sideways mount. The gun has a sideways mount on it now. I'm going back to a vertical mount.

I'm sorry mental break down there... uh well i would say one with out a blast shield and adding the one shooters connection has... (i have one, pm me)