Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited or limited 10 USPSA FNG

Caveat : This is my first year shooting USPSA , have shot approx. 3 matchs and with a total of 4 classifiers. I really chocked on the classifiers and shot Limited minor and made Calssification of D for dreaded ...

I am currently shooting a xd40 tactical with magwell, oversized mag release, power rivers trigger, arredondo mag extensions , tungsten guide rod, lightend slde, reduced power recoil spring and skate tape and also have and XD9 Tactical bone stock. I am able to take the 9mm upper and run it on the 40 lower with all the upgrades. I Looking on some suggestion on what Class I should shoot and pro's and con's I feel the 40 is at a disadvantage in limited due to mag capacity and if I switch to 9mm will only be able to shoot minor. 40- 15rd 9mm - 20rds

Limited :

40- major / 15rd

9mm minor / 20 rds

Or

Limited 10

40 Major

Thanks in advance for any insight on this subject ...

Edited by pagoda240

I would shoot it in Limited (major) and are there any extended base pads that will make the 140 length to increase capacity?

If not, try Limited anyway as in most stages 15 rounds will get you to somewhere in the stage where a reload will not be detrimental to your overall time. It might force you to be more accurate with your shots instead of going into "spray and pray" mode.

Last I would try is Limited 10. Maybe because here in Hawaii, pistol mags are limited to 10 rounds by law (unless exempt) so that may be why I would try L-10 last. We have to shoot everything (pistol) with only 10 rounds in the mag. You'll get creative in your plans to shoot a stage since your mag capacity is limited. We have a lot of creative shooters here :D

Just try both and see what interests you.

You also have to know what pushes your buttons. There'll be good days at the range, and there'll be bad days at the range. You have to know yourself well enough, that even if you have a bad day at the range score wise, you'll still leave with a smile because you've satisfied your needs.

If your need is no be able to pull the trigger as many times as possible with as few reloads as possible, Limited is probably the route for you.

As for me, I play in Limited 10 because I like the puzzle solving part of trying to break a stage down into what reloads of 10 will let me. I also get to tinker and mod my gun in Limited/L-10, which Production doesn't let me do. I get the satisfaction of shooting a something that I worked on.

I don't play in Single Stack major (or revolver) because I don't have the accuracy to go down to just 8 (or 6 rounds), and I'll just be frustrated by the miss counts, as well as physically, I don't have enough girth around the waist (despite by growing spare tire), to pack that many mags or moonclips that would be needed for a 32 round stage.

I have a friend who originally was into all the high tech gun mods, and as high round count as possible. That was until he got to try shooting Revolver and he's having more fun doing that now than he ever did shooting Limited and Open.

As stated by HI5-0, try both and see what interests you.

first off, you will be shooting in "D" class,, people are classes, guns are divisions,

Your most competitive division with the equipment you have is to shoot the stock 9mm in production division. L10 is a very small pool mainly in states with mag bans, If you are gonna shoot 10 might as well be in the big division.

Limited major and you'll get spanked by guys running 22 rounds, I dont care who you are you can always shoot faster if you dont have to reload. Murphy will have you shooting lots of 18-21 round cof's.

Use the 9mm in Production division and the 40 in Limited. You've got a lot of the right mods on your 40 to shoot Limited. All you need to do now is get the magazine extensions to get your capacity to 19 or 20 rounds.

Its my first year as well and I am shooting limited this year as well. Granted its a 40 cal on an STI frame and body and with my DP +1 and Grams I can stuff 19-20 rounds in em lol. My question would be do you load your own rounds? If so I do know some people that load their 9mm to shoot major but I will let those that are more versed in reloading speak to that. That would be one way to have the best of both worlds if you could make it.

If not I would say L10 would be a good alt. with your 40. Everything that I have seen and heard shooting anything but Production with a minor 9mm load just cripples you if you aren't shooting fast and all A's. But I know my mindset this year is to learn everything I can, attend as many matches as possible, be safe and above all have fun. Being competitive and placing will come in time.

Its my first year as well and I am shooting limited this year as well. Granted its a 40 cal on an STI frame and body and with my DP +1 and Grams I can stuff 19-20 rounds in em lol. My question would be do you load your own rounds? If so I do know some people that load their 9mm to shoot major but I will let those that are more versed in reloading speak to that. That would be one way to have the best of both worlds if you could make it.

If not I would say L10 would be a good alt. with your 40. Everything that I have seen and heard shooting anything but Production with a minor 9mm load just cripples you if you aren't shooting fast and all A's. But I know my mindset this year is to learn everything I can, attend as many matches as possible, be safe and above all have fun. Being competitive and placing will come in time.

The only Division where you can shoot 9mm Major is Open. Limited and Lim-10 require a minimum of .40 to make Major.