Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para magazines?

Troy R

I am thinking about buying the PXT 16-40 from Para and wondered if there was other mags on the market that worked well for a cheaper price than the mags you can buy from Para? There $49 for the 16rd..

This is also my first 1911 model in years and I'm hoping to use it in the limited SPSC and USPSA.

Any help will be appreciated.

para factory mags are the best setup for .40 para's and $50 isnt bad for a decent full capacity magazine that actually works. Id avoid the PXT and the power extractor like the plague though, look for an older normal extractor model.

Sounds good I stick with the para mags. I'm a 1911 shooter so I'm trying to figure out what I want or need.

So the older paras are better, or is there a new model that is worth having? I know the .40 cal is popular, how much recoil is the difference between that and the .45? Thanks

recoil depends on the loads, there are all differnt bullet and charge weights for both calibers so to say one recoils more or less than the other is like saying a chevy is faster than a ford, just to many variables for a blanket statement. I can say if you show up with a 45 in limited shooters of lesser ability are gonna beat you with a 40.

I am thinking about buying the PXT 16-40 from Para and wondered if there was other mags on the market that worked well for a cheaper price than the mags you can buy from Para? There $49 for the 16rd..

This is also my first 1911 model in years and I'm hoping to use it in the limited SPSC and USPSA.

Any help will be appreciated.

Check CDNN's website. Several months ago they had some PO mags on sale.

I like Para mags with Dawson basepads, always gives me 20 reloadable rounds. My PXT1640 has over 5000 rounds with Power Ext. without a single problem(unless you count missing the link after cleaning).

recoil depends on the loads, there are all differnt bullet and charge weights for both calibers so to say one recoils more or less than the other is like saying a chevy is faster than a ford, just to many variables for a blanket statement. I can say if you show up with a 45 in limited shooters of lesser ability are gonna beat you with a 40.

I can't completely agree with that. I competed with a P-14 in limited that held 18+1 and normally beat the 40cal shooters in my class. It was the 20-22round stages that were difficult to beat them because I had to reload on those 20-22 end stages with the 45acp and the 40 shooters didn't. So getting a 40 is more about having maximum capacity in limited and still making major power factor. I now shoot a P-16 :roflol: