Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

11 pond recoil to much for open gun?

rupture

I found there was a big difference in my gun when I went to a 9lb spring. The gunsmith who built my gun recommended a 9lb spring.

Does not seem like the gun is getting beat up with the 9lb so I'll stick with that.

Sometimes it's not the gun in regards to muzzle flip, try grip the gun in different ways, try different loads (bullet weights/powder etc.)

I have a 9 major gun that has way to much flip , thinking the slide is hit to hard. slide weighs 10.5 oz

I run a 10# in my cone comped gun with a 10oz slide, In my Bull barrel gun I just started running a 9#, changed from a 10# its about 10.5 oz, in my 7 oz slide shorty I run an 11#. It may well be more about preference than any thing. Now some guys like Diesel Mechanics and Carpenters have really strong wrists and they like a gun with some snap in it so they might prefer an 8#. There is no one right spring for an open gun, they can look identical and be different, and over time as your skill improves you will likely change. According to Bob Londrigen (Brazos) some where between 8 and 12 is right. Just do some drills with each and see which one you are faster with. I change my spring about every 3K rounds, it starts to get soft so I throw a new one in.

A lighter slide takes a heavier spring to slow it down. Physics.

Edited by CocoBolo

• 4 weeks later...

This is going to be my next project. I get a pretty violent dot flip using Autocomp in my 9 major gun. Now that i've been shooting open for 2 months i'm starting to notice the little things.