Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Style Factory Glock Finish

Paradox

I have noticed Glock changed the finish on their products (circa 2002?). Out of curiosity, does anyone know what it is?

Personally, I like the finish and was wondering if there was an equivalent product that is commerically available.

Thanks in advance!

Are you sure?

I've not noticed any changes and I've been looking at brand-new ones very recently. I'll have a brand-new one tomorrow, so I can check to be sure. Keep in mind that the parkerizing will take on a totally different appearance depending on whether or not oil has been applied to the finish. If oiled the parkerizing will take on a very smooth, shiny appearance. Clean a slide with brake cleaner and it will go from shiny, so a very flat black appearance.

I have a G35 that is about 5 years old, and the finish appears much different from the G23 I recently purchased. The new finish I speak of looks similar to the bake on moly/epoxy finishes (Slicker feeling almost satin black in color). I have completely degreased (brake cleaner) the slide and it doesn't change color.

The G23 is my carry pistol, and noticed it seems to hold up better than the old finish; much better than the Brownells bake-on finish.

I may be mistaken, but I believe Glock has changed the finish... Any takers?

Paradox,

You're right. The old, old glocks used to be black parkerized. The new finish does indeed appear different. I'm guessing it's very similar to the various applied finished like Robar's.

• 4 weeks later...

The finish is the same Tenifer base, it is just not as rough as the old "pre 2001" guns.

Jim

Certified Glock Armorer