Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Running with the gun

rupture

Does anyone run with both hands on the gun? I don't mean the little 1 to 5 foot runs I mean the longer ones. I was ruuning some dryfire drills in the backyard and it just seemed quicker to setup a shot instead of finding my weak hand grip.I guess I'll try it on the timer and see if I lose speed getting from point A to B.

I think I saw a video by Todd about this issue. I believe his thought was short distances both hands on the gun. Long distances your weak arm is driving the pace of the run much like that of a sprinter.

I have a friend who took a class at USSA and they told him to pump his weak arm like a locomotive, it is driving the movement.

I've been taught that for longer runs,

you take your finger out of the trigger guard,

take your weak hand off the gun, use it to

run as fast as you can, with the gun in front

of your eyes.

When you get two steps to your next shooting

position, you bring your finger back into the

trigger guard and start bringing the gun down

to the next target.

As soon as you arrive, you pull the trigger.

At the next IPSC match, watch some people will

run with both hands on the gun - like a shuffle.

Takes forever.

Other mistake we make is to get to the position

and then take 1-2 seconds bringing the gun up

into firing position - do that in your last

two steps - be ready to fire when you land.

Jack

I've also been working on this idea in live-fire practice lately myself. I've found it depends on how far you need to go, (and whether or not you have to reload) but I've been finding that even if I have to go 10-15 feet, I still like to keep both hands on the gun. I can run just as fast by keeping both hands on, and using the same sort of pumping action your weak hand/arm would do when taking 1 hand off the gun. Obviously this changes if I have to run 20-30 feet, because I'm going to be putting more effort into running,. than I normally would. But I've been finding that I have faster 1st shots in the next position if I keep both hands on the gun.

Certainly everybody's different, and different instructors will teach their preferred methods, but this is what works for me.