Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

180gr vs 165gr in .40 cal for IPSC?

imknadian

I've been using 180gr bullets loaded with about 4.8gr of Titegroup for IPSC major. They made major in my glock, but I haven't ran them through the chrono yet in my TS.

Just wondering if anyone uses 165gr 40cal bullets for IPSC major. If so, what kind of performance do you find? what loads? how do they compare to the 180gr bullets?

Where is the cheapest place online to get either 180 or 165gr plated bullets?

Keep in mind, I will be using them in a CZ TS for IPSC major.

Thanks in advance

If you buy in bulk, you would be better off buying jacketed bullets instead of plated bullets. I did buy some Zero 165 JHP to try out and I just didn't like them enough to switch. I'm going back to 180 MG CMJ.

If you do decide to buy plated bullets, check out Powder Valley Inc for good prices. They don't include shipping but the shipping is very reasonable. Good luck...

I usually try a bunch of different bullets/loads whenever I get a new gun, and use whatever is the most accurate.

Most have done best with Zero, 180 grain, jhps, but, I have had some that were more accurate with Zero, 165 grain jhps.

The recoil is different between the two, but, if you run maybe 100 rounds, doing drills, on the clock, with one load, and then try it again with a different load, you'll probably find that once you've shot a load long enough, there's no time difference between major loads. :surprise:

I've shot every plated bullet made, and keep coming back to Zero bullets. The biggest problem right now with Zero bullets is the availability of them. :(

I just switched to 165 M.G. hollow points. I'd been using 155 M.G. hollow points for years, and cant really tell the difference between the two unless I'm shooting really slowly.

Gun: Custom built 5" STI

Winchester 1x fired brass

WSR

6.0 Winchester Autocomp

1.150" OAL. This isn't 100% reliable for feeding, and I'll be going to 1.200"

At the last match, I chronoed exactly 1000.0 FPS, and my weighed bullet was exactly 165.0 grains. I think I should have won a prize or something.....

Swede

I had the same experience, when loading to power factor it is very difficult for me to tell the diff between the 165 and 180's. If anything the 165 may cycle slightly faster from the videos we've seen of us shooting, but as far as felt recoil its not enough for me to really tell. The way I look at it, its cheaper to shoot the 165's so thats what I go with.

I like 165 loaded with 4.9 grains of tightgroup

I like montana golds 165 cmj's loaded to an oal of 1.13-1.15.

I really like rainier 165 hp loaded to 1.15 oal.

Both my Brazo's and my Jim Anglin built Limited guns just eat them up.

12pound recoil springs, quick snap in felt recoil and I like the way the gun tracks with these loaded.

• 2 weeks later...

I just switched to 165 M.G. hollow points. I'd been using 155 M.G. hollow points for years, and cant really tell the difference between the two unless I'm shooting really slowly.

Gun: Custom built 5" STI

Winchester 1x fired brass

WSR

6.0 Winchester Autocomp

1.150" OAL. This isn't 100% reliable for feeding, and I'll be going to 1.200"

At the last match, I chronoed exactly 1000.0 FPS, and my weighed bullet was exactly 165.0 grains. I think I should have won a prize or something.....

Swede

Not to hijack, but can you tell us more about the Autocomp under the .40 how does it compare to Vit and TG? It sure would be nice to have one powder for open and limited.

Thanks,

Rick