Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para P1640 and Zero 180 Gr. JHP

lrf

Made my first batch of reloads in 40 sw today for my Para P1640 (no pxt, 2001 build). I have ran thousands of factory rounds through it, even the cheapest of the cheap(ultramax, blazer) with zero issues.

I loaded a 180 gr. Zero jhp to 1.13 with a crimp of .420. Powder charge doesn't matter because I haven't even had a round chamber yet. I shortened to 1.12 and still no luck. The round almost makes it,the slide is barely open. There's a little added tension when I try to eject it, but the round ejects like normal.

I have never ran any hollow points through this gun, decided to try those first after doing research regarding accuracy prior to starting to reload. Is it the profile of the jhp causing the problem? Have any other P1640 owners had this same issue?

Take Your barrel out and see if a resized case will drop in the chamber. You might have glock bulged cases. Do you have a case guage ? Make sure your resizing die in your press is just kissing the shell plate when resizing. Those rounds should chamber at 1.13 oal, the bullet profile for the hollow points are almost identical to tcfp 180 gr bullets.

In addition to what Roy suggests, Drop a few of the rounds you assembled into the barrel.

Not sure if it will help but try cleaning your chamber with a bore brush too.

Edited by yoshidaex

Take Your barrel out and see if a resized case will drop in the chamber. You might have glock bulged cases. Do you have a case guage ? Make sure your resizing die in your press is just kissing the shell plate when resizing. Those rounds should chamber at 1.13 oal, the bullet profile for the hollow points are almost identical to tcfp 180 gr bullets.

Reporting sir:

I removed my barrel, the resized cases drop right in. I don't have a case gauge. This morning I resized some cases and loaded them into a mag. The empty cases fed and ejected no problem. Do you think it is the hollow point? The resized cases go into the chamber and i'm at factory oal. When I drop the reloads into the barrel by hand they make it about 75% of the way in.

The bullets are not being seated crooked are they? And if there is no obstruction in the barrel then it very well could be the hollowpoints. Do you have any factory ammo to test and compare them to?

I set the specs compared to factory ammo I have. Everything is matching up. At certain points of the cartridge my reloads are a thousandth wider than factory, but I don't think that will make a difference. I'm going to try some regular fmj and see what happens.

The bullets are not being seated crooked are they? And if there is no obstruction in the barrel then it very well could be the hollowpoints. Do you have any factory ammo to test and compare them to?

I set the specs compared to factory ammo I have. Everything is matching up. At certain points of the cartridge my reloads are a thousandth wider than factory, but I don't think that will make a difference. I'm going to try some regular fmj and see what happens.

Have you tried dropping factory ammo into the chamber since you have been messing with your loads? Are you positive nothing is in the chamber or throat? Something is not right? FTF is one thing but not dropping into a chamber with the barrel removed is curious.

your dies or die adjustments are the problem, are you using dillon dies ? The dillon seat die did this to me, basically it crimps a little before the bullet is fully seated, so fully seating the bullet causes a slight flare in the brass just below the bullet, so you get failure to chambers, I played around with mine for awhile and still got 6 or 7 failures to chamber outa 100, I finally went back to my old lee seater and the problem went away,

your dies or die adjustments are the problem, are you using dillon dies ? The dillon seat die did this to me, basically it crimps a little before the bullet is fully seated, so fully seating the bullet causes a slight flare in the brass just below the bullet, so you get failure to chambers, I played around with mine for awhile and still got 6 or 7 failures to chamber outa 100, I finally went back to my old lee seater and the problem went away,

I did notice a slight bulge on one side after going back over my loads. What causes this?

I did notice a slight bulge on one side after going back over my loads. What causes this?

Unsupported Chambers cause it. Make sure your sizing die is touching the shell plate just a little. Size some of the "pot bellied" cases and see if they drop in the chamber. If you have to, I don't find this needed, you can switch to an EGW u-size die and to a 9mm powder funnel, the 40 powder funnel will stick in cases out of the EGW u-die. I have zero issues with Dillon dies and load police range brass which is almost 100% pot bellied. YMMV

Glad you found the issue, it's easy to solve. Good luck!

All of the resized cases drop into the chamber. The bulge appears after the bullet is seated, I can feel the base of the bullet bulging out of the case wall.

All of the resized cases drop into the chamber. The bulge appears after the bullet is seated, I can feel the base of the bullet bulging out of the case wall.

That is fairly common and shouldn't be a problem. I've noticed that on a lot of my reloads through the years and it's never been an issue.

I usually shoot a 175 cast lead bullet and prefer to load long 1.220. I like and recommend the U die in 40 S@W, It will usually fix feeding issues.

I would suggest you load as long as the magazines will let you. Load 10 rounds then check them in a magazine to see if they fit without rubbing the magazine. The snake that ate the egg look on the case below the seated bullet is not a problem, though it should be centered and not off to one side. Set the belling die, powder funnel for just enough to start the bullet in the case, bullet should sit on the case easily without extra flair. Chamber check the round in the barrel before starting a loading session.

Might check the insert in the seating die to see if it matches the shape of the bullet, might need to flip the insert if your using a Dillon Die. You can mark the bullet with a sharpie or marker to see where it's hitting. It works better if it hits the tip or nose of the bullet, that will keep OAL more consistent. I had to modify a seating insert to make it work in 9mm minor using heavy bullets as I couldn't find a insert that would hit on the tip of the bullet. The seating die should remove some of the bell but not crimp the case.

If all else fails try another bullet design.

Ah, that bulge, well that is normal and the top part of the hour-glass you will see refered to in loading posts. That bulge is okay, clear as mud, right? :surprise:

I usually shoot a 175 cast lead bullet and prefer to load long 1.220. I like and recommend the U die in 40 S@W, It will usually fix feeding issues.

I would suggest you load as long as the magazines will let you. Load 10 rounds then check them in a magazine to see if they fit without rubbing the magazine. The snake that ate the egg look on the case below the seated bullet is not a problem, though it should be centered and not off to one side. Set the belling die, powder funnel for just enough to start the bullet in the case, bullet should sit on the case easily without extra flair. Chamber check the round in the barrel before starting a loading session.

Might check the insert in the seating die to see if it matches the shape of the bullet, might need to flip the insert if your using a Dillon Die. You can mark the bullet with a sharpie or marker to see where it's hitting. It works better if it hits the tip or nose of the bullet, that will keep OAL more consistent. I had to modify a seating insert to make it work in 9mm minor using heavy bullets as I couldn't find a insert that would hit on the tip of the bullet. The seating die should remove some of the bell but not crimp the case.

I flipped the insert and they are chambering now, problem free. I'm going to go load up some ammo now! Three cheers for Bob Dubois!

I flipped the insert and they are chambering now, problem free. I'm going to go load up some ammo now! Three cheers for Bob Dubois!

I also had to back off the flare a little bit too, i still had a few that were a little tight.