Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading for Single Stack, OAL with SWC ?

GregJ

I have yet to shoot my first USPSA match (I have shot IDPA for over 2 yrs), but will soon, and thought I should probably fine tune my loads a little. Lately I've been using Berrys 200gr plated SWC with 5.7gr of W231 at 1.245 OAL. My guns are a Kimber Gold Match II and a Kimber Custom Classic Target. This load works extremely well, and very accurate in both guns, but I have had a few FTF, not many, but enough to start rethinking my load. They work great for range use, but would like more reliability if I'm going to use them at a match.

I would like to know what others are using for their OAL with similar loads.

I have several brand new Wilson ETM and 47D mags, and recently adjusted the extractors in both Kimbers. I dont think the FTF have happened with a particular mag(s), but I will start keeping an eye on them. The extractor in both guns definatley needed adjusting, as they both failed the loaded round tension test.

If I dont find an OAL that works well, I may just stick with the RN bullets. TIA

I try to shoot for 10-20 thou of the shoulder of the bullet sticking above the mouth of the case. You can use the thickness of your thumbnail if you've got one to measure this. I shoot missouri bullet 200gr and these end up at 1.240-1.245 or so and they feed great in my kimber.

Berry's plated 200gr SWC bullet shape is different from your standard H&G 200 gr LSWC shaped bullet. The plated bullet does not have a lube groove. As a result, when Berry's started making a plated SWC, the extra weight from LACK of lube groove had to come off somewhere. They shortened the nose of the bullet. When you compare Berry's plated and a standard LSWC you will see a notable difference in the length of the nose. This shorter shape creates feed problems with many 1911 pistols. I have a Kimber Eclipse Target and I have 5 buddies with various Kimber 1911's. None of these pistols will feed Berry's plated 200gr SWC bullets. We all get 20%-30% FTF.

Interesting feedback.

So, my primary focus is getting reliable loads for SS matches. Besides possibly cleaner cut target holes, there doesnt seem to be any real advantage of (plated) SWC over (plated) RN bullets - other than cost (which is why I gave SWC a try in the first place).

So, given my primary focus, either I mess around a lot with different OALs (which will require sending a LOT of rounds down range to get any real comparison info), or just stick with 200gr RN bullets. Right? :blink:

Edited by GregJ

Really?

My gun, and 5 buddies with Kimber 1911's all failed to feed Berry's plated 200swc about 20-30% of the time.

I understand that Berry's has redesigned the 200 Plated SWC. There is a "old style" and "new style". The "new style" address' FTF issues. I assume I had the old style as the bullets were about 3 years old. I have not shot the "new style" SWC's

Edited by Waldog

My gun, and 5 buddies with Kimber 1911's all failed to feed Berry's plated 200swc about 20-30% of the time.

I understand that Berry's has redesigned the 200 Plated SWC. There is a "old style" and "new style". The "new style" address' FTF issues. I assume I had the old style as the bullets were about 3 years old. I have not shot the "new style" SWC's

Now I follow. I thought you meant the guns in general failed that much, so I Put "Really ?" (as in who would put up with that for long)

Edited by Powder Finger

My Kimber Stainless Target II and Colt XSE will run SWC's lead or plated without a problem, however my Kimber Supermatch will only reliably feed Round Nose. Go figure.

I have some 200gr SWC and RN coming from Precision, and SWC from Penn Bullets. If I like the Precision RN, I may just stick with those. They seem to have generally good reviews here.

I use the Missouri bullets 200 gr lswc bullets in my Springfield 45. I've had no problems with them functioning when shooting. The only problem I have had is when I unload and show clear at the end of a stage, sometimes when I drop the partially loaded mag from the gun and rack the slide, the loaded round will get stuck and be difficult to eject. The ammo is loaded at no longer then 1.25" and from everything I have heard I shouldn't have a problem. Have any of you found you need to open the port a tiny bit more to prevent this from happening. Is this common? I have tried to make the overall length as short as possible, but with the variation in some case lengths I can't really load much shorter. thanks, Mark

I use the Missouri bullets 200 gr lswc bullets in my Springfield 45. I've had no problems with them functioning when shooting. The only problem I have had is when I unload and show clear at the end of a stage, sometimes when I drop the partially loaded mag from the gun and rack the slide, the loaded round will get stuck and be difficult to eject. The ammo is loaded at no longer then 1.25" and from everything I have heard I shouldn't have a problem. Have any of you found you need to open the port a tiny bit more to prevent this from happening. Is this common? I have tried to make the overall length as short as possible, but with the variation in some case lengths I can't really load much shorter. thanks, Mark

My Springfield does the same thing...will not eject a loaded round. I've thought about shortening the ejector, but I'm not sure that would help. I'd also be interested in the correct cure for for this...

I have yet to shoot my first USPSA match (I have shot IDPA for over 2 yrs), but will soon, and thought I should probably fine tune my loads a little. Lately I've been using Berrys 200gr plated SWC with 5.7gr of W231 at 1.245 OAL. My guns are a Kimber Gold Match II and a Kimber Custom Classic Target. This load works extremely well, and very accurate in both guns, but I have had a few FTF, not many, but enough to start rethinking my load. They work great for range use, but would like more reliability if I'm going to use them at a match.

I would like to know what others are using for their OAL with similar loads.

I have several brand new Wilson ETM and 47D mags, and recently adjusted the extractors in both Kimbers. I dont think the FTF have happened with a particular mag(s), but I will start keeping an eye on them. The extractor in both guns definatley needed adjusting, as they both failed the loaded round tension test.

If I dont find an OAL that works well, I may just stick with the RN bullets. TIA

If you are having feeding issues and you're pretty sure your magazines are OK, you may not have picked the optimum OAL. When using SWC bullets you'd like to mimic the timing associated with standard ball ammo (assuming this stuff runs reliably in your gun). WWB is the gold standard for reliability in my 1911s. So what i do is back out the round nose seating stem in my seating die and insert a WWB .45 round in the shell plate and raise it into the die. ThenI screw the seating stem down to contact the bullet and lock it in. I use this setting to seat the SWC bullets. This pretty much guarantees that a cartridge loaded with SWC will make contact with the feed ramp at the same time in the cycle that this occurs for the WWB FMJ cartridge. I use several different bullet shapes and weights for various applications and this one setting has worked 100% reliably for me for a very long time. Hope this helps. Cheers,

Norm

Edited by Norm Lee