Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reload feedback please.

RevolverJockey

Below is a video from this weekends match. It represents an average reload under match conditions. This is about how fast and smooth 95% of my reloads are. This is also my first match trying strong hand reloading and I went through the whole match without thinking about what was happening or fumbling for a clip. Any feedback on way to improve or comments would be appreciated. FYI, I have thick skin. Thanks in advance,

Lee

http://youtu.be/dtWCBhIpE28

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

Looks good. Now show us a video of your weak-hand reload so we can compare!

I spent 17 years doing it that way, and finally concluded that there are big advantages to keeping the gun in the right hand and reloading it with the left. The weak-hand reload translates much more readily to reloading an auto, and you're a whole lot less likely to break the 180 or fumble the gun.

However, either method can be used very effectively, and ultimately it's all about which style feels best, and is the fastest and most consistent for the individual shooter.

Edited by Carmoney

Nice. Here's my $0.02:

Looks like you're losing some time when you close the cylinder, then raising it to shoot. It can be done in a single movement, closing it with the butt of your weak palm as the gun's being raised and as the weak hand is re-establishing it's grip. If you look closely, Josh seems to be demonstrating this.

Also, you're lowering the gun with both hands, dropping the empty clip once lowered. There's some "dead time" there, because the time could be used to have the fresh moon out and ready. You're also losing the benefit of a lot of gravity to clear the clip. If you invert the gun and eject while still high, while simultaneously grabbing a fresh moon with your strong hand, it can be dropped in the instant the gun hits bottom.

FWIW, I use the Strong-Hand Reload with speedloaders, but prefer WHR with moons so I don't have to re-establish my strong grip. That said, it seems one trade-off is that the cylinder, not being actively held by the weak hand, is more apt to move around while I'm moving, making moving reloads harder. Anyone else notice this? Maybe one of the pros to a SHR is easier moving reloads? I'll have to experiment.

Tom

Nice. Here's my $0.02:

Looks like you're losing some time when you close the cylinder, then raising it to shoot. It can be done in a single movement, closing it with the butt of your weak palm as the gun's being raised and as the weak hand is re-establishing it's grip. If you look closely, Josh seems to be demonstrating this.

Also, you're lowering the gun with both hands, dropping the empty clip once lowered. There's some "dead time" there, because the time could be used to have the fresh moon out and ready. You're also losing the benefit of a lot of gravity to clear the clip. If you invert the gun and eject while still high, while simultaneously grabbing a fresh moon with your strong hand, it can be dropped in the instant the gun hits bottom.

FWIW, I use the Strong-Hand Reload with speedloaders, but prefer WHR with moons so I don't have to re-establish my strong grip. That said, it seems one trade-off is that the cylinder, not being actively held by the weak hand, is more apt to move around while I'm moving, making moving reloads harder. Anyone else notice this? Maybe one of the pros to a SHR is easier moving reloads? I'll have to experiment.

Tom

I see all the things you are saying. I was reloading weak hand until about a week ago and had never tried strong hand reloading. It seems like with strong hand, it is a much more natural motion retriving the clip, but more importantly dropping the clip in the cylinder seems more coordinated for lack of a better explaination. When I grab the clips strong handed they clip rests on my second knuckle of my middle three fingers and the second knuckle of my thumb and seems to result in a more controlled guiding of the clip (even though there are obviously some time saving things that can be improved on). When I weak hand reload I tend to grab the clip with just my fingertips and almost seems like I have to guide the clip all the way in or it will bind. I am not very comfortable with the consistency of release. I FEEL like there is more clearance with my strong hand as my open palm is to the gun vice the web between my weak hand thumb and index finger. I will try and get some pictures posted to illustrate what I mean. Thanks for the input.

Lee

When I pick up the Revovler I just naturally flip open the cylinder and hold it in my weak hand.

So that's the method I use.

In the end I don't think it really matters much. You can loose so much time fumbling or losing focus that the actual mechanics are the least of the issues.

When I pick up the Revovler I just naturally flip open the cylinder and hold it in my weak hand.

So that's the method I use.

That was true of me as well, however after looking at a video that Bubber put up, I decided to try a weak hand reload with my model 66. It has taken a fair bit of practice, but the weak hand reload is working well for me now

When I used to do a strong hand reload, it was far easier for me to catch a spent cartridge casing on the grip, balking the reload. If I held the gun closer to vertical, then I started worrying about breaking the 180. With the weak hand reload, neither of those are issues for me.

In the end I don't think it really matters much. You can loose so much time fumbling or losing focus that the actual mechanics are the least of the issues.

There are two fellows who I compete in IDPA with regularly who compete in SSR. Both are masters. One does a strong hand reload. The other does a weak hand reload. So clearly both can be done quite fast.

Having done this a few times. I'll give you some tips.

When finished with the last shot (Patience on that last shot) push the latch, roll the gun up and open the cylinder at the same time. dump the spent moon with the ejector rod (I use my thumb, two middle fingers on the cylinder pinky and index finger holding the gun.) while going down to get a new moon with my right hand. When I get the gun down to belt level and rolled back to where I can see the back of the cylinder I throw the new moonclip into the cylinder. I then regrip the gun and close the cylinder with the left thumb and just below on my hand while moving it to the final grip position of the left hand(kind of a pivot really). Then I shoot again.

Simple and somewhat effective. ;)

my fastest live fire two shots reload, two shots reload is 1.39 with my 646.

Hopalong

my fastest live fire two shots reload, two shots reload is 1.39 with my 646.

Hopalong

I have a way to go. Just dumping dummy rounds out and new clip back in and into shooting position I am running mid 3's on a good day. If I bobble anything or the clip binds I can go into the high 5's. That is 70% of my el Prez times in IDPA with my plastic. I guess will power aint gonna get it done and daily practice is going to be a way of life.

Edited by Suicycle