Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked main spring housing pin

hovbuild

I asked on another forum but would like some opinions here. I have a Less Bauer PII that keeps breaking these pins (two), one was the original the other was a Cylinder and slide...the grip safety works fine....I do use heavy loads but they do not batter the gun in any way I can detect. The strut looks fine but it is hard for me to tell if the hammer stops here or on the grip safety. The mods I have made to the gun should not effect this part...

Thanks Bill

thats a new one for me also, maybe the mainspring cap is hitting the mainspring retainer which is hitting your mainspring housing pin. do you have an extended strut?

Possible solutions:

-shorten the mainspring cap and or the mainspring retainer

-heavier trigger spring

-If you have an extended strut, you may consider chaning out to a standard legnth.

It's the pin that holds the housing in the frame...The grip saftey stops the hammer....

Okay, we are talking about the grooved pin that holds the mainspring housing in the frame? Right?

Strip the gun of the grip safety, hammer/strut and sear spring. The mainspring housing should slide easily into the frame now. Does it? If not find out why.

Next, with above parts still out and the the guts of the mainspring housing taken out, will the mainspring housing pin slide into the frame and mainspring housing easily? Yes/no?

Next, reinstall only the grip safety and the mainspring housing. Will the mainspring housing pin slide into the frame and mainspring housing easily? Yes/no?

Pat

It's the pin that holds the housing in the frame...The grip saftey stops the hammer....

It about has to be the components stacking up to solid for that pin to break.

With the gun assembled, does the hammer actually stop on the grip safety or short of it?

To check take a thin piece of notebook paper and put it in the slot in the top of the grip safety where the hammer spur sits.

fully cock the hammer and hold it as far as it will go. If the peice of paper is tight then the hammer is probably stoping on the grip safety.

If it's loose then the system is already bound up.

The only thing I can think of that would cause that as mentioned else where is the 2 internal caps butting up against each other.

Hope that helps.

Okay, we are talking about the grooved pin that holds the mainspring housing in the frame? Right?

Strip the gun of the grip safety, hammer/strut and sear spring. The mainspring housing should slide easily into the frame now. Does it? If not find out why.

Next, with above parts still out and the the guts of the mainspring housing taken out, will the mainspring housing pin slide into the frame and mainspring housing easily? Yes/no?Next, reinstall only the grip safety and the mainspring housing. Will the mainspring housing pin slide into the frame and mainspring housing easily? Yes/no?

Pat

This is fairly probable also if the pin is getting bent because the holes in frame/MSH aren't aligned.

The grip safety does not hit the housing when the hammer is fully back. The MSH slides out easily. The grips on this gun covers the pin and it could have been broken right after I bought it and not known it until I did a full tear down...I do have a main spring on order and will completely disassemble the MSH a little late today. I will get back to you all and thanks for trying to help....I will call the man himself tonight( Less only takes calles 4-5pm central time) but I do like figuring things out for myself...

Bill

The grip safety does not hit the housing when the hammer is fully back. The MSH slides out easily. The grips on this gun covers the pin and it could have been broken right after I bought it and not known it until I did a full tear down...I do have a main spring on order and will completely disassemble the MSH a little late today. I will get back to you all and thanks for trying to help....I will call the man himself tonight( Less only takes calles 4-5pm central time) but I do like figuring things out for myself...

Bill

Since this is kind of a rare situation, can you let us know what you find out? I am interested in what you find out.

Edited by Sean Gaines

Check the coil thickness as well as the number of coil in the mainspring. Thick coils like in Wolff springs will yield a longer full compressed length (i.e. bottomed out) that could be stressing the pin to the breaking point. ISMI coils are noticeably thinner for a given spring pressure weight and could alleviate the problem.

Morning, When I checked if the grip safety was hitting the MSH I did this buy pulling the hammer all the way back and there seemed that their was no tension between the two, BUT when gripping the safety hard it would go a bit deeper and contacted the MSH on one corner.. There were rub marks on one side..After measuring the MSH I was surprised the see one side a bit longer, out of square from the bottom to the top.. I filed this are down and it should eliminate the contact when the grip safety is fully compressed. I will let you know how this works out..I am a little disappointed in the quality of this housing.

My guns have hammer spur marks inside the cutout of the grip safety. Never cracked a MSH pin.

If you don't want to shorten the mainspring cap shaft, buy a Ti one as they are shorter.

That's not the area I am talking about. The top of the MSH on one side and the bottom of the safety are in contact when the grip is engaged all the way.

Edited by hovbuild