Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA scoring Bonus target question.

There is a match coming up at the end of the month and one of the proposed stages has 2 bonus targets that are 8 inch disks. 1 at 400 yards and 1 at 500 yards. How many shots would you alot for each steel in the advent of a miss before stopping.

Pat

How many points is the stage worth? (we're talking USPSA, so it's not as simple as 100, 125, 150)

I would probably not even waste the time shooting at it if it were only 5 points and being a bonus should not incur a FTE.

USPSA does not have "bonus" targets. You can run enhanced value targets, but then a miss is double those points. Flying birds can be doubled, from 10 to 20 points. If you run Time Plus, the enhanced values seem to go away. One of the things I am going to be asking my AD to propose is specifically allowing enhanced value targets in Time Plus.

USPSA does not have "bonus" targets. You can run enhanced value targets, but then a miss is double those points. Flying birds can be doubled, from 10 to 20 points. If you run Time Plus, the enhanced values seem to go away. One of the things I am going to be asking my AD to propose is specifically allowing enhanced value targets in Time Plus.

Thanks Marko now I can talk to the match director and let him know.

Pat

You could call it a disappearing target. That would in effect be the same as a bonus target. Just don't concern yourself over trivial matters that it doesn't actually disappear. :roflol:

Then, I guess that would be true for the whole match :devil:

ETA: Actually, with my eyesight, disappearing would be a pre-existing condition!

Edited by ChuckS

You could call it a disappearing target. That would in effect be the same as a bonus target. Just don't concern yourself over trivial matters that it doesn't actually disappear. :roflol:

I just told him what I learned here and that was one of his solutions was to call it a disappearing target. (but it really doesn't.) I would rather just score it normally. Its the same for everyone, yes they will be hard to hit but that is part of the game.

I would say you will have alot not even bother shooting at it. I know I would pop one round in the general area to "engage it". 2MOA at 400 and sub 2 at 500 is pushing what alot of rifles used are gonna do without a rest. I know personally I would have zero chance of hitting it at 500 so why waste the time to get the hit. Ill take the penalty and use the half second to lob one in the vacinity of it

I would say you will have alot not even bother shooting at it. I know I would pop one round in the general area to "engage it". 2MOA at 400 and sub 2 at 500 is pushing what alot of rifles used are gonna do without a rest. I know personally I would have zero chance of hitting it at 500 so why waste the time to get the hit. Ill take the penalty and use the half second to lob one in the vacinity of it

Just to pile on a little. IF you make it an Enhanced value target, you force people to try at least one shot at it in order to avoid a FTE. IF you make it a bonus or disappearing target, you are really only penalizing the shooters from about 60% on down. The experienced and skilled shooters will know if they can hit it or not and then a few might, but most won't. The newer, less expereinced shooter will lock in an try to get the hit. On most rifle targets, 3 rounds and MOVE, no matter what. Past that, you are trading the "I hope I get a hit" for time, most times you will lose.

Moral of the story is make stages that the 50% shooter can shoot completely instead of taking miss penalites on purpose. 3 to 4 MOA is about the smallest you should be on a decent 3 gun stage. If you drop to 3 MOA, you had better be 200 yards and in.