Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue Steel Shooting Association Spring 3Gun

BlueSteel Shooting Association - Spring 3Gun - May 22, 2011 - Stephenville, Texas

See the Match Website for more details: (http://www.bluesteelshootingassociation.com/matchesprograms.html)

First 35 shooters to email Kyle McGregor are in the match, with a waiting list to be created after the match has filled.

Details:

Format - Outlaw 3-Gun match with a separate Law Enforcement division. Match is limited to 35 shooters. Law Enforcement are welcome to wear duty rigs for competition.

Stages - The match will have 5-6 stages incorporating a single or multiple guns (rifle, shotgun, pistol). Stages will be posted in the downloadable forms section of the website.

Round Count - Approximate round count will be 100 rifle, 100 pistol minimum, 60 birdshot, 10 slugs.

Location - Fifteen miles east of Stephenville, Texas on Highway 67 (Chalk Mountain). Click on the Google Maps link on the match site.

Entry Fee - $30 per shooter

Prizes - Awards will be given for individuals. A random prize drawing will be conducted for all shooters.

Registration - Email mcgregor@tarleton.edu to hold a spot for the match. The first 35 shooters will enter the match and a waiting list will be developed after the match has filled.

Rules - Modified International Multigun Association Rules. Download rules from the match site.

Check-In & Start Times - Shooters meeting will begin at 0830 and first rounds will be at 0900.

Inquiries - Match inquiries are to be addressed to Kyle McGregor (mcgregor@tarleton.edu - 254.592.1876) or Clell Murray, (cmurray@tarleton.edu - 254.485.4347).

Kyle, will this be a regular event like every few months? I can't make this one since it's the same weekend as Midwest 3 Gun, but I'd like to be notified if there are any more in the future.

Kyle, will this be a regular event like every few months? I can't make this one since it's the same weekend as Midwest 3 Gun, but I'd like to be notified if there are any more in the future.

West,

Not at the moment, however, I want to move up to a spring and fall match. It would be nice to have two every year, plus the place we shoot is very rugged and offers some really cool stage design opportunities.

Thanks for the interest!

Kyle

The roster below is 32. Three more slots available!

Note: Most Sponsor Shooters Are Not On The List!

(Please let me know if there are errors with names.)

1. Stevens, Jim

2. Royals, Ira

3. Morris, Jim

4. Erasmus, Neil

5. Pennington, Cliff

6. Johnson, Doug

7. Quarles, Fred

8. Murphy, Dean

9. Byrd, Bo

10. Pineau, Stephen

11. Teel, David

12. Birdsall, Derrick

13. Hughes, Tom

14. Pinkston, James

15. ?????, Jason

16. Reininger, Paul

17. Butler, Aaron

18. Helm, Andrea

19. Watson, Kuan

20. Howard, JC

21. Cooper, Mike

22. Melick, Bach

23. Collins, Melanie

24. Cobb, Ken

25. Munford, George

26. ??????, Derrick

27. Spurgeon, Max

28. Kaigler, KD

29. Murphy, Pat

30. McNally, John

31. Richardson, Geordie

32. Porter, Justin

Edited by DocMcG

Lots of people are asking:

1. What about the rain? We have had a 40% chance all week and no rain to this point. The property drains VERY well and can take lots of rain. I will keep updates coming.

2. We have had a few drop and a few add, so their are a few spots left.

Looking forward to hearing the report!

I shot this match today and had a blast. Imagine a smaller version of the Rocky Mountain 3 Gun Championship. All of the stages were set on natural terrain including creekbeds and twisting paths through thick stands of cedar.

The stages involved:

Stage #1 - Pistol and rifle. Engage pistol steel and paper while moving to your rifle. When you got to your rifle you had to engage paper at 60 yards and then a series of flash targets that were dispersed on a hillside anywhere from 120 to 200 yards. The hillside made for an up angle of 20 deg +.

Stage #2 - Shotgun birdshot and slugs. This was in a natural creekbed covered on both sides by cedars. You started at the bottom and had to engage 2 LaRue gongs with slugs. One was at 40 yards and the other was close to 100. That was the only position at which you could engage the gongs. You then worked your way uphill in the creekbed engaging a mix of 6" x 8" plates and poppers. It was a fun stage. Very similar to the creekbed shotgun stage from RM3G a couple of years ago.

Stage #3 - Rifle only. Start standing behind a 24" high platform and then engage 7 rifle steel (a mix of flash, LaRue Sniper (with round plates from the Tx MG Championship) and 2/3 IPSC. Get off of the platform and take short range paper and then re-engage the 7 steel rifle targets. The second position for the 7 steel rifle was from a tree where you could not see all of them due to the terrain changes. The wind was blowing the tree around so bracing on it made it tough.

Stage #4 - Shotgun and pistol. Take your shotgun and engage a series of 11 poppers that are dispersed through the trees. Get to a grounding barrel and engage a single LaRue gong with a slug at about 50 yards. Ground your shotgun and draw your pistol and engage a series of steel and paper as you moved down a trail. One of the steel was a 2/3 IPSC at about 40 yards.

Stage #5 - Rifle and pistol. Start with your rifle and engage a series of paper targets as you run down a path cut in the cedars. LOTS of twists and turns. Ground your rifle and engage a plate rack with your pistol. After all the plates are down advance to the Texas Star and finish.

Did I mention that there were several no-shoots that obscured the paper? There were plenty of them around, but they were not set up to be too difficult.

The match staff did a great job in the preparation and planning. The stages were outstanding and required you to be able to shoot and reload on the move.

The prize table wasn't too shabby either. The prizes were done by random drawing and several competitors left with gear from LaRue, Safariland, Lone Star Armory, just to name a few. A couple of competitors walked away with free entries into the 2012 TX MG Championship.

The plans are for this match to be a bi-annual event. I hope that I don't have to miss any of them.

Kuan

I shot this match today and had a blast. Imagine a smaller version of the Rocky Mountain 3 Gun Championship. All of the stages were set on natural terrain including creekbeds and twisting paths through thick stands of cedar.

The stages involved:

Stage #1 - Pistol and rifle. Engage pistol steel and paper while moving to your rifle. When you got to your rifle you had to engage paper at 60 yards and then a series of flash targets that were dispersed on a hillside anywhere from 120 to 200 yards. The hillside made for an up angle of 20 deg +.

Stage #2 - Shotgun birdshot and slugs. This was in a natural creekbed covered on both sides by cedars. You started at the bottom and had to engage 2 LaRue gongs with slugs. One was at 40 yards and the other was close to 100. That was the only position at which you could engage the gongs. You then worked your way uphill in the creekbed engaging a mix of 6" x 8" plates and poppers. It was a fun stage. Very similar to the creekbed shotgun stage from RM3G a couple of years ago.

Stage #3 - Rifle only. Start standing behind a 24" high platform and then engage 7 rifle steel (a mix of flash, LaRue Sniper (with round plates from the Tx MG Championship) and 2/3 IPSC. Get off of the platform and take short range paper and then re-engage the 7 steel rifle targets. The second position for the 7 steel rifle was from a tree where you could not see all of them due to the terrain changes. The wind was blowing the tree around so bracing on it made it tough.

Stage #4 - Shotgun and pistol. Take your shotgun and engage a series of 11 poppers that are dispersed through the trees. Get to a grounding barrel and engage a single LaRue gong with a slug at about 50 yards. Ground your shotgun and draw your pistol and engage a series of steel and paper as you moved down a trail. One of the steel was a 2/3 IPSC at about 40 yards.

Stage #5 - Rifle and pistol. Start with your rifle and engage a series of paper targets as you run down a path cut in the cedars. LOTS of twists and turns. Ground your rifle and engage a plate rack with your pistol. After all the plates are down advance to the Texas Star and finish.

Did I mention that there were several no-shoots that obscured the paper? There were plenty of them around, but they were not set up to be too difficult.

The match staff did a great job in the preparation and planning. The stages were outstanding and required you to be able to shoot and reload on the move.

The prize table wasn't too shabby either. The prizes were done by random drawing and several competitors left with gear from LaRue, Safariland, Lone Star Armory, just to name a few. A couple of competitors walked away with free entries into the 2012 TX MG Championship.

The plans are for this match to be a bi-annual event. I hope that I don't have to miss any of them.

Kuan

Kuan,

Great synopsis of a first-rate match. Stages were challenging enough to make you think, but nothing too crazy. Definitely count me in on the next one.

Thanks to Kyle M. and the entire Blue Steel crew for all their hard work to make this match a reality. Thanks also to Sheldon C. for his generous donation of free entries to the 2012 TX MG Championship - I was one of the lucky few to win this awesome prize. Also want to thank KD Kaigler and Diamondback Tactical for their donation of rifle cases several lucky folks (got one of those coming too!). The sponsors were fantastic - the prize table was awesome given the very low match fee and relative "new-ness" of the match.

I also want to congratulate Kuan on his match win - very strong shooting, my friend! Can't wait for the next one. :cheers:

The stages involved:

Kuan

Kuan,

Great synopsis of a first-rate match. Stages were challenging enough to make you think, but nothing too crazy. Definitely count me in on the next one.

Thanks to Kyle M. and the entire Blue Steel crew for all their hard work to make this match a reality. Thanks also to Sheldon C. for his generous donation of free entries to the 2012 TX MG Championship - I was one of the lucky few to win this awesome prize. Also want to thank KD Kaigler and Diamondback Tactical for their donation of rifle cases several lucky folks (got one of those coming too!). The sponsors were fantastic - the prize table was awesome given the very low match fee and relative "new-ness" of the match.

I also want to congratulate Kuan on his match win - very strong shooting, my friend! Can't wait for the next one. :cheers:

+++++ 1 could not have said that better,,

To the scoreing crew!!!!!!! you ROCK you had them out at the end of the match in recored time!! THANK YOU!!!

Jim M ammo

Results are up! Thanks to all of the shooters who came out and thanks especially to our sponsors! Be sure to visit them from our site!

To Jason Block, Robert Berry, Clell Murray, Pete Goodman, Kristie Bint, Jason Heddins, Brady Gray, Mike Sutter, Melissa Sutter of the Blue Steel Shooting Association - THANK YOU! I cannot say it enough! Without your contributions the match could not have been a success!

http://www.bluesteelshootingassociation.com/matchesprograms.html#/

Cheers,

Kyle

The stages involved:

Kuan

Kuan,

See you at Rocky Mountain 3 Gun, another match not to miss.

Kuan, did you forget to mention that you were a Ft. Worth SWAT ninja?? They didn't have you down as LEO.

I'm looking forward to trying this match as my first 3 gun match in the fall!! Thanks Doc for having something so close to the DFW area!! We greatly appreciate it :cheers:

Kuan, did you forget to mention that you were a Ft. Worth SWAT ninja?? They didn't have you down as LEO.

I'm looking forward to trying this match as my first 3 gun match in the fall!! Thanks Doc for having something so close to the DFW area!! We greatly appreciate it :cheers:

Right back at ya! :cheers:

(BTW - Kuan requested to shoot 3Gun division rather than LE. :D )

Cheers,

Kyle