Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what to watch out for in reloading 40sw

I was putting together my caliber conversion together and the die set I bought was used. Before I assemble anything gun-related, i usually take he opportunity to clean. As I was taking the seating die apart, I noticed the inner part (the one that you flip depending on what type of bullet you're loading) wouldn't slide out after removing the pin that holds it. As I take a closer look I noticed a bunch of gunk/dirt in there. I ended up having to punch the piece out for a pen, and it was not easy.

There was enough dirt and grime in there to change my OAL a good amount

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been so long since I was active in shooting I would really like some input. Most of the posts seem to deal with Glocks. I have a Para P-16 that's had maybe 2000 rounds run thru it about 10 years ago - I was trying local USPSA competition - safer than motorcycle roadracing :rolleyes: . If you would, please comment on the loads that I used (and still have about 1000 left). A friend offered his experience (civilian consultant to military - built barrels & loads for really really long shots in Vietnam), his XL-650 and friendly advice (but he didn't share the beer until I was done loading). We tested 6 different loads including Winchester factory loads. We were targeting a major power factor of 170.

OAL: 1.171

Brass: used (Fed brass, Fed nickle & Winchester brass)

Powder: W231 4.9g

Bullet: Star 180 JHP

Primer: WSP

Dimension at crimp (leading edge): .417

Dimension at mid-bullet: .424

Fps: 948 - 957

TIA for your comments.

• 2 weeks later...

So just an update...

Unique Precision 180gr

W231 @ 3.5

OAL average @ 1.135

WSP

This was nice!!!! But smoky

Same but with Clays @ 2.6gr = WOW.... SUPER DUPER soft! (Thanks Mark for the suggestion... I picked up 1lb... and I think I might just sell the rest of my w231 and buy more clays! cheers.gif)

I don't have a chrono yet... sorry!

So just an update...

Unique Precision 180gr

W231 @ 3.5

OAL average @ 1.135

WSP

This was nice!!!! But smoky

Same but with Clays @ 2.6gr = WOW.... SUPER DUPER soft! (Thanks Mark for the suggestion... I picked up 1lb... and I think I might just sell the rest of my w231 and buy more clays! cheers.gif)

I don't have a chrono yet... sorry!

You're welcome. :cheers:

That 231 is smoky and dirty...clays will be cleaner and SOFTER for you. Just remember, don't load major short with clays....it has a tendency to blow the case heads off...not fun.

Edited: for spelling.

Edited by Mark R

The smoke wasn't that much better with these particular bullets... but I'm switching to moly's soon. The lube crap gunks up my dies.

But +1 for the clays recommendation!

Have you tried clays and 200gr?

Clays is an excellent powder but I would not recommend using it with heavy bullets [200gn] at major power factors for the novice reloader. An overcharge can cause serious problems.

Purchase a chronograph or borrow one work loads up slowly, Stay with bullet weights close to 180 till you have mastered your machine and the art of reloading. Use data that gives safe pressures for the bullet your shooting. Check out Handloads.com for data from the powder manufactures as well as guests.

Winchester 231 is an old workhorse, it's served shooters well for a long time and works in every pistol caliber. I'll usually recommend it for a new reloader's first purchase, it's a little dirty but meters well and is more forgiving. A good first building block.

Been shooting 4.6gns. Hodgdon Titegroup at 1.220 OAL, 175 cast SWC for a long time, longer load feeds better in wide body guns. I've tried clays in 45acp and had good results may try it in 40S@W next loading session.

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Alliant's "Power Pistol" - sure it is blasty and flashy, but it sure is fun and you can make major with it pretty safely. Accurate and meters well too.

My sub-major load (155 PF - I use it because POA == POI @25 yards with my Ameriglo sights):

165 gr Precision Delta Jacketed

5.7gr Power Pistol

Tula or CCI SPP

Load to ~1.135 (some over a bit, some under a bit...)

Used this load to shoot a 480 in PPC and take Most Accurate at IL Friends of Wounded Warrior's Match in March.

Shooting out of a stock Glock 22...

I chimed in on another post and included a picture...

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Alliant's "Power Pistol" - sure it is blasty and flashy, but it sure is fun and you can make major with it pretty safely. Accurate and meters well too.

My sub-major load (155 PF - I use it because POA == POI @25 yards with my Ameriglo sights):

165 gr Precision Delta Jacketed

5.7gr Power Pistol

Tula or CCI SPP

Load to ~1.135 (some over a bit, some under a bit...)

Used this load to shoot a 480 in PPC and take Most Accurate at IL Friends of Wounded Warrior's Match in March.

Shooting out of a stock Glock

I chimed in on another post and included a picture...

@Less, what about a 180gr bullet with Power Pistol? Have you not used it in your match's or is it to heavy of a bullet?

My first and only pistol reloading has been .40 S&W. I don't think it's overly tricky or sensitive. Yes I had to buy a EGW undersize die to remove the "Glock bulge" in the brass. There are several other solutions like the Redding GRX die.

The little competitive shooting I do does not require a chrono test, so I really don't pay attention to that. I strive for a load that gives me low recoil, fairly accurate at 25 yards and less, and is economical. Here is my favorite load to date.

3.5g Hodgdon Titegroup

CCI Small Pistol Primer

Berry's 180g FP-DS

1.130" COAL

Really enjoy shooting these and they cycle my G35 perfectly. I do have a Wolff 14lb recoil spring and did not test the load with the stock spring.

I always use powders that pretty much fill the case to the base of the bullet, so the .40 S&W has been no problem generally. I have only had one problem, that being I'm finding crimped primers on some brass, and my progressive press priming system does not like them.

I use AA #7 and Lee tumble lube bullets I cast myself.

CDD