Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lead loads for 9mm

Jayson

Looking for info on loads for 124gn lead round nose using tite group powder. looking for accuracy, minor and major. I would also like to know what OAL and what crimp you are using. The gun is a SW M&P9 Thanks in advance

IMO cast (lead) bullets and Titegroup is not the best combination. For a minor load the combination will work but....the first thing you will see is a tremendous cloud of smoke. You may also get excessive leading due to the super hot powder burn vs. the lead bullet base.

For Major......Titegroup burns way too fast, I would not even consider using Titegroup for major.

being in Canada we are limited to what we can get for powders. Right now I only have Tite Group. Does anybody have infor for TG? Thanks

Hello Jayson,

smile.gif

Oddly enough Hodgdon the manufacturer of TG lists a fine 124/25 lead bullet load. Just a few clicks...http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Tightgroup is not used for Major 9 due to extreme pressure...just ask Johnny Twofingers...he'll tell you. mellow.gif

being in Canada we are limited to what we can get for powders. Right now I only have Tite Group. Does anybody have infor for TG? Thanks

Hello Jayson,

smile.gif

Oddly enough Hodgdon the manufacturer of TG lists a fine 124/25 lead bullet load. Just a few clicks...http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Tightgroup is not used for Major 9 due to extreme pressure...just ask Johnny Twofingers...he'll tell you. mellow.gif

I have that info, but it is for a lead cone nose not a lead round nose. my big concern here is that the load manuels range from 2.1-4.7gn. That is a big spread. I was hoping that someone has dialed it in a bit better than that. Thanks

We "dial in" our loads with a chronograph and the specific gun we're going to shoot. The info provided by Hodgdon (minor ogive differences aside) is an ideal starting point.

Handloading the short barreled modern pistol "for accuracy" is something of a trivial pursuit given properly assembled or factory ammo IMO. The most accurate pistols out

there go bang every single time, cycle consistently with very low or no smoke, which can be an issue with TG and bare lead. Tends to melt the bullet base. We all know how

inaccurate a gun is when the sights are obscured. wink.gif

Looking for info on loads for 124gn lead round nose using tite group powder. looking for accuracy, minor and major. I would also like to know what OAL and what crimp you are using. The gun is a SW M&P9 Thanks in advance

TG is a powder with very HIGH burning temp, it'll SMOKE like mofo with lead bullets. Both - lube AND lead will evaporate. Watch your lead blood level if shooting indoors!!!

It is a good powder if you use plated or TMJ (total metal jacket) bullets thou.

Thanks for the info. This is a powder that was recommending to me. Starting to wonder about it....

Jason -

There's some great info in this thread for you. Basically "fast" powders burn hotter, but don't develop much bullet velocity. That "hot" part and the lead bullet is what's making the bad juju.

For minor, you want a powder that's maxed out at around 1100 fps with a 124gr. That way you can easily achieve 1040 fps with a very efficient 80-90% load and still run clean. Go down through your loading book until you start seeing powders that deliver maximum velocities from roughly 1100 to 1125 fps. That should be cool enough for lead. Otherwise swap over to plated or jacketed.

Here's a powder burn rate chart that will help you rank powders.... Right Here !!

Hope this helps! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only TG lover on this forum? Lets not give Jayson just blanket statements about TG being a bad powder.

Fact - Uncoated lead bullets will smoke with ANY powder. The amount of smoke produced is related to the powder but also a large part of what the bullet lube is made of.

Fact - TG works very well and can be very accurate with proper load developement. I have loads worked up for my 9mm pistols with TG that will shoot 3/4" at 20yds from a Ransom Rest.

Fact - TG causes no more leading than an other powder. Leading is a result of poor bullet fit to the barrel and to some part the hardeness of the lead and the bullet lube.

Jayson - After shooting more than 50k rounds through my three 9mm pistols using TG it is my go to powder for all of my pistol reloading. If that is what you can get than usae it with confidence. With proper load developement it works fine in MINOR PF ranges.

This is NOT a powder for MAJOR though.

Edited by toddrod

I've tried several powders in minor 9mm. Titegroup is a fine powder, meters well, stable at varied temperatures and I would use it. Had good results with an old standby Winchester 231 also. Prefer a heavier bullet and Solo 1000 for the recoil impuls, I shoot 147lead flat points mostly as that's the easiest bullet to get local. The heavier the bullet the lighter the recoil at the same power factor in a stock type pistol.

Solo 1000 can be a pain to load though, it's a light flake powder that doesn't meter well, spills on the shell plate and is very heat sensitive, slows down when the temperatures rise. Loading data can change from lot to lot so you need to do some Chronograph work when the seasons change and you purchase a new lot.

If you have Titegroup, you've made a good purchase it should work fine with the 125gn bullet. Next bullet purchase try a heavier bullet and stick with Titegroup, I think you'll like it even better.

I shot TG for years when I used plated bullets. 3.0 gr with 147 bullets was very soft and accurate. When the cost of plated bullets got too expensive I started shooting lead and moly coated. Yes, TG does smoke more with lead bullets than Solo 1000 and I did get more barrel leading. Solo is a single base gun cotton powder. It has no nitro unlike TG which has a very high percentage of nitro.

I am not sure one can make PF with the lighter bullets and Solo. I have no problem with a 160 gr. bullet.