Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trick of the day Bill drill

Steve Anderson

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming I successfully complete the Level II course next month I will then be a CRO. At the moment, as only an RO I looked at the video again, and again, and again, and did some research. I looked at the descriptions of the first 14 classifiers on line. The ones which want hands at the sides say "both arms hanging relaxed at sides." I looked up Bill Drill:

"It's true that the Bill Drill, popularized by The Great One and myself, was invented by Bill Wilson, and the original drill was shot at 7 yds. I remember when he told us about his idea for the drill one year when we were at his place practicing for Bianchi. When we returned home all we did was shoot that drill until we "could do" it. (7yds, 2 secs., all A's, surrender start.)

be "

Then of course I tried to adopt as best I could the stance Steve had in his video.

Conclusions:

1. For you "purists" it wasn't a "Real Bill Drill" since Steve started with "both arms hanging relaxed at sides." rather than the surrender start.

2. In a match, if the stage description said "both arms hanging relaxed at sides" I find Steve to be in compliance and would start him with no question. Try it. Push out your chest, put your shoulders in shooting position and keep your arms relaxed at your sides. ([sensei mode]Steve, if you relax your shoulders you might get faster! [/sensei mode])

3. Damn that was fast! I can hardly wait for the sun to come up so I can go to the range and live fire some Bill Drills!

Oops.

OK, I guess I have some work to do on that. Call mine a Will Drill. :)

On the shoulder, it is relaxed, it's just "up" in the socket instead of hanging down. I have tried EVERY hand/shoulder combo I can imagine, and this works best.

I am glad you feel it is in compliance, as I have never seen a problem with it.

The chest is pushed out because the shoulders are back, and not to intentionally exagerrate the chest.

And it's all about relaxation of expectations. If you got the line thinking, I'm gonna do a 1.5 bill drill it may never happen and that trigger will freeze up fast.

The goal is to shoot 6 A's as quickly as possible.

SA

Is it draws like the one Steve demonstrates the reason you don't see many "standard" starting positions at the World Shoot (or similar matches like the Nat's, which I've never attended), like BE mentioned? Perhaps to take it out of the equation?

Dave,

I gotta think it is NOT the goal of the stage designer. I think it just happens that way.

Every match ought to have a high speed target to draw to (somewhere in the match). Of course, I like the idea of having a table start with an unloaded gun...and one with a loaded gun (to test those mag buttons;))...and a start that requires some movement before the draw...and...

:)

Is it draws like the one Steve demonstrates the reason you don't see many "standard" starting positions at the World Shoot (or similar matches like the Nat's, which I've never attended), like BE mentioned? Perhaps to take it out of the equation?

I think it's more to distract you from the shooting....

great shooting, my best bill dril is 1.68 all a's with a limited gun. i used a classic target but when i shifted to the "normal ipsc target" with the huge a zone, i cant bring it lower than a 1.73

• 3 weeks later...