Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grams 4mm Base pad fit help

Putty

On my 140 mm sti mags, I have shaped the tubes to spec yet the grams basepads u pin is really hard to get in. What is the preferred fitment at this point? File the tabs to 1.05 (currently at 1.08) or do you squeeze the tabs in the vice? I was going to file the tabs but me and files and guns, oh my!!

I had to lightly stone the tabs on a couple of 40 STI mags to get the Grams pins to fit. Beven clearly states that forcing the pins in will stress the basepads and will likely cause breakage over time. I prefer to use a stone rather than a file because it leaves a smoother surface on the tab. Squeezing the tabs may work, but don't forget that you are also going to be squeezing the bottom of the mag body, which may lead to other issues. :surprise:

Putty, I think filing, sanding, stoning is the way to go. I had the same issue getting a Bolen pad on one tube. The guy tuning mine said that is somewhat common and usually just remove a little material.

Hello: You may have to file the sides of the tube tabs and even the bottom of the tube to make it flat. You can see how much space on each side of the tabs by placing the retaining "U" over the tube to see where it is tight. It should be a little loose. Once you do that fit the base pad on the tube and try to install the "U" retainer to see how tight it is. If it is still tight you will have to file the base of the tube flat. I also check the tube measurement corner to corner on the outside to make sure you don't have a twist in the tube. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric