Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need 180gr Major loads w/1.20" OAL

Postal Bob

I will be purchasing soon, a custom STI limited gun in 40 S&W whose chamber is extended to 1.25". I will be using Titegroup powder or N320 if I can find it. I know most loading data I see is based on shorter OAL's around 1.12-1.15". Since I will be using a longer OAL, I know I have to increase the charge weight from standard listed loads in order to make major PF. At this time I don't have a chrono to test loads. So what are some long loads(1.2" oal) with 180gr bullets, that people are using to make major pf? Trying to limit it to Titegroup or N320 powder.

Are you sure you need to load that long? Typically people load long for reliable feeding. STI typically does not require a 1.2 OAL in my limited experience.

My SV requires long loaded ammo but I can get reliable feeding from a 1.18 OAL.

That said, out of a Nowlin/Schuemann/Kart barrels, 1.18 OAL, 4.8 gr of VV320, and 180 JHP (zero/mg) produces ~ 170 PF. Consistently over 5 years of Nationals and A2 chrono experiences.

I get 168 pf from 4.6 grains of N320 with a BBI 180 grain moly coated lead bullet. Length is 1.17 inches, and they are fired from a BarSto barrel. Never had any feeding problems. Also, my gun will reliably feed factory ammo all day long without problem.

Just chronoed some loads with a fresh (2010 vintage) batch of N320; 1.180" oal 1X fired Rem. brass, Fed SR primer, Hornady 180 gr. HAP jhp and 4.8 grains of N320 gave me a pf of 172.8pf. A noted builder on this forum suggests lengths no longer than 1.180 oal. Atlanta Arms and Ammo also loads their Long Loaded .40 rounds to 1.180 oal. Seems that the newest batches of N320 run a little warm. My old loads using N320 were 4.9 grains with a 180 grain jhp for 166pf. If you're going to use this powder and load length I'd suggest starting at 4.4 grains, chrono and go from there.