Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reccomend machinist for threading bolt gun barrel

jaredr

have a savage model 10 .308 that I would like to thread 5/8 x 24 tpi for an AAC brake. My local machinist has looked at it but unfortunately his lathe cannot accommodate the barreled receiver, so he would have to take the barrel off and then reinstall and headspace the barrel, something neither he nor I have done before. anyone recommend a gunsmith or machinist for this, preferably in NC? Thanks.

He is not in NC (Pittsburgh, PA) but.... I would call Kevin Johnson at Johnson Tactical Rifles.

Here is a link, scroll to the very bottom of riflesmithing services....thread bolt gun barrel.

riflesmithing

+1 on carbon9 reply

Why don't you call Dave Tooley at Tooley Custom Rifles. He is a full time smith, and his rifles have held world records in BR in the past, and he is a lot closer than PA. 704-864-7525 516 Creek Meadow Dr, Gastonia NC 28054. He has a website also, but I don't have it in front of me. I'm sure a google search would pop him up.

In the Savage, barrel removal and re-installation is not difficult with proper tools. For what you are doing, the work will not change headspace. If you are unfamiliar with how a Savage barrel mounts to a receiver, it is not the traditional Rem or Win style. It actually is a big part of why Savage rifles shoot so well.

Talk to Bobby at Freedom Gun Works.

Mark K

thanks, thought of bobby but checked his site and he's not taking magazine work right now because of his existing backlog, so figured he'd be jammed up.

Talk to Bobby at Freedom Gun Works.

Mark K

thanks, thought of bobby but checked his site and he's not taking magazine work right now because of his existing backlog, so figured he'd be jammed up.

He just recently added Rifles to his bag of tricks. drop him a message, you never know.

mark K