Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Proper Holster Break-In

Wild Gene

Just a little tip from a road recently traveled. While it may sound silly, sometimes proper holster break in is critical.

My own example is a new Mitch Rosen Express line on the belt holster for my G26. I am a big fan of the IWB holster, but sometimes on the belt is just so much more comfortable. Well I bought a new holster, and read the break in directions, but never really practiced with the new holster. I decided it was time to practice so set out with gun on hip an a timer to the back yard. After setting up a target, I turned on my timer, faced the target, hit random start and waited for the buzzer to go off. When it did, I reached back grapped my pistol and pulled, hard, really hard, really really hard. I ended up ripping my belt loops on the right side, pulling my pants so far up my rear that I needed a spatula to get them out, and never did succede in getting my gun out of the holster.

While it is funny in hind sight, (no pun intended) if this was a carry situation, or a match, it could have been a real disaster (again, no pun intended). I am sure there is a lesson to learn there somewhere. Mainly, try your stuff before you really need it.

Gene

Edited by Wild Gene

I had to look up where Touchet was. Goddamn you're in the middle of nowhere!

But, agreed on all points. The last kydex holster I got (pretty much a Raven knockoff) locked the gun in as tight as you say. I'm not a small man, and it damn near took all my strength to rip my gun outta there the first few times I tried it.

The Atomic Wedgie strikes Again! Starring Darth Gene and Luke Wedgiewalker.... :roflol:

Yea, it is funny now, but my boys are still complaining about it.

I had to look up where Touchet was. Goddamn you're in the middle of nowhere!

I hope people keep thinking that! People come to the valley loving the way we live and how pretty it is and so they move here and spend the rest of their time trying to make it like the city they came from!

Back to the holster, it is leather, and the way it is molded, the ejection port is fit so tightly that I had to take the holster off my belt, and it still took me quite a while to get my Glock out of it. It is like they were mating or something...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had the same issue with a crossbreed super tuck and an 1911...I didn't get the atomic wedgie such as yourself but I damn near pulled my shoulder out socket.