Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Surefire EP4 ear plugs

Rye

Last year I was squaded with the OPEN squad at RM300, which had about 10-12 open shooters, At the time I was using the Surefire EP4. After 3 days of shooting, I can tell you that I barely could even hear the buzzer go off on a CED 7000. I almost Self DQ myself because I thought Someone yelled stop. Turned out no one said anything and I just stood there in the COF looking at the RO like an idiot for like 3 sec's. (have a vid to prove it >.<) After that stage I tossed the EP4's in the trash and went to the custom ear mold people that where there and spent $80+ on their best ear molds. I should had did that on day one, but I was to cheap and stubborn to do so and I almost payed the price for that, both in DQ and the actual pain of ringing in my ears for 2 weeks after.

Edited by DocMedic

I use them a TON. They work magnificient in IDPA unless shooting from inside a car or something like that. In that case, I use muffs as well. They are comfortable once you get used to them. You can always run them in hot water to make them more flexible. Once flexible place them in your ear until they cool. Kinda like forming a mouthpiece in football.

Shot a USPSA match recently and stood behind a shooter (open) that was sitting in a chair to start. MISTAKE!!

Where do I get that custom mold ear plugs?

I assume they're talking about the Insta-Mold plugs. I've used them for years and they work great. I've only just recently abandoned them for disposables because they don't fit under my muffs very well with the little cord attachments sticking out on them. I will probably end up just cutting off the attachments, but haven't gotten around to it.

The website for the plugs are here and that site can put you in contact with a provider. The providers are often at large matches and other shooting events with a little booth set up, and I've heard that some audiologists can make them as well.

EDIT: Back on topic, I ordered a pair of the EP4s to try out under my muffs. I really wanted to like them, but they made my ears a little sore after wearing them for a whole match. I will definitely have to try the hot water trick. I liked the attenuation level when combined with electronic muffs, they were easy to put in and remove, and relatively cheap. Unfortunately I could not get them to fit comfortably in my ears.

Edited by CutterH

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed them regarding local dealers in my area. You're right... They said a local audiologist can do the ear mold and I can send the mold to them and they can do whatever I decide on.