Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G24 recoil spring

chefcs5

ok was having issues getting back into battery and spring seemed pretty weak. So I ordered a 14lbs wolf spring that says its for 17l,24,34,35 etc well it seems to long(by a lot) and when I do get it in there it bunches up and doesnt function right. It was also very hard to get the gun apart with it on and bunched up. and yes I put the small end toward the guide rod as it said.

Thanks

I have a G24 and the 14 lb recoil spring is the recommended spring weight for this pistol. As I understqnd it, Glock recoil spring weights are determined by slide weight, and most of the Glocks come standard with 14 lb recoil springs (I'm sure I'll be corrected on this by others, but, that is what I have read). In any case, it takes a bit of work to install the guide rod through the spring and then seat the guide rod on the correct indent on the barrel lug without the spring bunching all over the place. With practice, it is really easy to do this. If it is all "bunched up" it seems to me that you have assembled it incorrectly, OR, you have an oversized spring (highly unusual). Keep at it. You have the right weight spring, and it should work. M.

Ok I have been playing with the spring all night. I'm using the uncapaptured guide rod. This spring is a good 1 to 1.5 inches longer than the stock spring on my 17. Hrmm also its not flat coils wich I have never had one that wasn't flatcoils

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Hrmm also its not flat coils wich I have never had one that wasn't flatcoils

Wolff springs are roundwire, ISMI are flatwire springs.

I think the Wolff springs need their own guiderod too, due to different internal diameters of the spring.

Not sure what could be wrong, I use both the Wolff guide rod and Wolff 14lb spring, and a Jager guide rod and 13lb ISMI spring with my Glock 24, 35, and 34,with no issues. Maybe another set of eyes needs to look over the gun.

ok figured id try posting some pics and see if there is any ideas

The Spring package

post-18598-067935700 1303346570_thumb.jp

The Spring

post-18598-014913800 1303346601_thumb.jp

This is the new spring next to the old one

post-18598-026801600 1303346637_thumb.jp

Here it is next to the guide rod

post-18598-046491300 1303346667_thumb.jp

And all bunched up in the gun. it is really hard to even get it on let alone have it function

post-18598-087123600 1303346702_thumb.jp

I have had wolf springs before that would cause problems. They told me the spring might not have been compressed and "set" before it was sent out. It was on a sig and It wouldnt even go in the gun. What I did was make a compression tool out of a bolt, fender washers and a wingnut to compress the spring down and let it sit for a bit compressed. After maby 10 min compressed in my tool, It went right in the gun and worked perfect

the springs look fine to me. what sort of "not functioning right" do you mean?

It bunches up and when you put the slide on it catches the spring right were it bunches up.the spring is really long compared to the ismi i had in it before maybe 2 inches longer

Here are my springs, the 14lb spring is on a Wolff guide rod installed in the Glock 24 slide (two views). The other picture has the slide, below that is a 12lb Wolff spring, then a 15lb Wolff spring, then the 14lb Wolff spring then the 13 lb ISMI spring. The ISMI has been used about a month in the Glock 24 and has no coils cut off. The 14lb Wolff spring is in my Glock 35 for a few months and has already taken a set, but a new one is only about an eighth of an inch or so longer.

post-7229-054338900 1303436368_thumb.jpg

post-7229-086427900 1303436376_thumb.jpg

post-7229-068143500 1303436384_thumb.jpg

I would try the compression "tool". My sig spring was the exact same way. They said they are not always compressed before leaving. Mine went from not even able to get in the gun(thought they sent me the wrong spring) to working perfect in like 15 min in the device. Had about $1.50 in the whole tool

Edited by EkuJustice

Take a bolt, place a couple fender washers on it, then the spring, then a couple more fender washers and a wing nut. You can then tighten the wing nut to compres the spring. Let it sit for about 10-15 min and check it. They told me they usuually do this compression at the factory but not always. mine went front not even able to install to functional in about 15 min

yes I took the old one off. and I am using the Wolf full length guide rod with the 14 lbs spring

Does that guide rod fit into the stock flat spring? It "looks" thinner than the Wolff guide rod. The Wolff rod is thicker and will not fit into the stock flat or IMSI spring so could be why it bunches up like that. I would think it would work fine but if the bunching is your concern, it might be mismatched.

ok figured id try posting some pics and see if there is any ideas

The Spring package

post-18598-067935700 1303346570_thumb.jp

The Spring

post-18598-014913800 1303346601_thumb.jp

This is the new spring next to the old one

post-18598-026801600 1303346637_thumb.jp

Here it is next to the guide rod

post-18598-046491300 1303346667_thumb.jp

And all bunched up in the gun. it is really hard to even get it on let alone have it function

post-18598-087123600 1303346702_thumb.jp

Thats what it looks like. Wrap your fingers around the spring to hold it in place when you put it on the slide. It should work fine.

It bunches up and when you put the slide on it catches the spring right were it bunches up.the spring is really long compared to the ismi i had in it before maybe 2 inches longer

What do you mean it catches the spring? is the spring retarding the slide? locking the slide? the pistol is not cycling? what is happening?

What do you mean it catches the spring? is the spring retarding the slide? locking the slide? the pistol is not cycling? what is happening?

It bunches up and sticks out and catches the slide from going on

I have it on the screw and washers now. if that doesnt work Im gonna cut a few coils