Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended firing pin for STI Edge?

G34 CORDY

What company should I buy from Limcat, SVI, Matt Mclearn or another to get a extended firing pin from? Iam new to the 2011 platform so Iam not sure which one is better than the other or is all of them good.

I ordered the Matt Mclearn M2i and ISMI 15lb main spring. There are alot of mixed reviews with the 15lb main spring but if I dont like it I can take it out. Who here has a 15lb main spring on a STI Edge .40 and how do you like it or dont like it?

Edited by G34 CORDY

15 lbs is on the light side.

If you intend on running that light, I suggest using federal primers since they light off the easiest.

I run a 18 lbs mainspring and light off all brands and types of primers.

Will the 15lb main spring help with muzzle rise?

This is a loaded question.

Changing main springs can affect the dynamics of the gun in positive or negative ways.

I went from a 20 to 18 lbs and didn't see much of a change in how the dot moves but it did lighten my trigger pull from 24 oz to about 20 oz.

Using a trigger pull scale of course ;)

I just figured that the less energy it takes to move the hammer via the slide during recoil the less the muzzle would rise. Iam going to try it out this weekend and see if its reliable or if I even like it.

is an extended firing pin necessary for an Edge? I can understand the need for it with primer flow in an open gun. Ran about 10k of .40 major out of an Edge and another 4k out of the new .40 major gun with the regular STI firing pin with nary an issue.

Extended firing pins can help reliability in any competition gun. Its not for primer flow, its for making sure they go bang.

+1 I have the DP extended firing pin in my limited and open pistols. I like it because it will set those not so perfectly seated primers off. I also run 18lbs mainsprings.

+1 all my guns that will take them (just need to find one for a 45) have extended FP/Striker glocks and 1911/2011. With a weaker hit or a primer not quite set right it will still set it off.

Light MS helps with flip but too light and you risk problems.