Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use a range cart instead of a range bag?

stringcheese

in my neck ofthe woods ammo nor mags are allowed in the safe area's guns only, newbies get warned once, then thank you foryour donation...we only went to that because people were inthe safe area's checkin the drop free of their mags when they were loaded!!!! yeah only time would tell till we got a KABOOM in a safe area...i know you shot CAS a few yrs back, and admittedly you said CAS was a lil loose in their rules, as i know i have seen a quite a few CAS matches...how about this, before you trot out the mega cart(minus the potty i hope) why not trot on out to a USPSA match and see what people are running with??? get a feel for how much stuff you actually do or dont need(kinda like my cruise to tahiti a few yrs back, i could have left 2 bags home and just run with 3 tank tops and 2 swim trunks an a pair of teva's)

I understand where you are coming from, you have to remember I have my 61yo father who is a bit overweight, with fused neck vertabra, and my 59yo uncle with me. I want to make this an enjoyable experience, especially for my father, for them. I nearly lost my dad 2 years ago when he underwent neck surgery and ended up in the ICU for 108 days with complications. He has had a rough recovery and has settled back into a mindset that he is better. I believe having a little physical excersice while doing something fun will help him grow stronger. Don't take this wrong, he is more than able to perform a match. He is an amazing pistol shot and still kicks my butt at long ranges. To give you an idea of his shooting ability, he is the only member of WWCCA shooting club in michigan qualified to shoot his handgun off-hand at 200M. That is 8 of 10 in a ten inch bull at 200M standing, arms out, with a pistol. If he can keep from falling down I think he might give some of the other seniors a good run for their money.

So, I am carrying for 3 guys. Making their experience fun, like it should be.

Thanks for the comments guys, keep them coming.

BTW the cart has two 1/2" carriage bolts with wingnuts on the upright that allow me to take down the cart and get it into the trunk of my Chevy Cobalt.

I use a creedmor highpower shooting cart. I take my range bag and set it on the seat when we are moving through stages. I use it mainly as a seat that holds my lunch and then a dolly for my bag. Very few (but a few) people use stuff like this for uspsa. Alot of people use this stuff for 3gun. Put what you want on it. You have to be happy. I love mine because on long 6 plus stage days or in hot weather (i have an umbrella attached) it saves me from fatigue and hell I can just sit when I need to between taping and setting.

Get a bigger umbrella and make room for your friends!

After reading some more, it does look kind of small. I know that you're going to be carrying gear for 3 people, the pics might be deceptive, but what about maybe some sort of 5 gallon bucket/laundry basket/removable storage box that fits on the "seat part," to hold gear, etc. You can take it off to access the seat storage too, and with a five gallon bucket type apparatus, that can be converted to 2 makeshift seats for dad and uncle in the hot/humid months?

Just an idea. Also, maybe like golf club wrap or baseball bat wrap for the handles? maybe make the wood a little more comfortable than having to push/pull with sweaty hands.

I can't tell, but is the water jug just held on by a strap on the handle? Maybe take like a bungee cord and wrap around the shaft/post of the handle and bottom of the jug, if you tip it to push/pull, look like that might act like a pendulum and cause more force to be exerted moving it as you're trying to push/pull it.

As far as a cup dispenser, how about a pair of like nalgenes/reusable drink holders/water bottles, something smaller, and then just fill it up from the main reservoir when you run out. Also, possibly a cover or insulated bag for the cooler so it doesn't get too warm sitting in the sun all day?

Just some suggestions, I actually really like the idea and am debating building one myself, these are designs I may try to incorporate! Hope it helps!

I notched the handle on the coleman drink cooler and it hangs on a metal hook.. no matter how rough the ground gets it has enough clearance and the hook holds it good. I'll take some pictures Friday or Saturday when I get back home from work. The cooler even stays on going up and down stairs!

The cart always ends up carrying someones something on the seat area. Putting a 5 gallon bucket in a milk crate is a great idea. Seperate them into seats when we hit the stage. The transformer cart, lol!

I never had problems with grip with the square handle. I built the cart in a day when our original CAS cart filled up with too many long guns. The fat tires are way better than the 12" bicycle or wood wheels I have seen on other carts, mostly because they do not sink as bad in mud and do not get that reverberating rattle over gravel. If I did it again I would even go with bigger, fatter tires

that red cart that round gun posted a pic of is what we use at one oftherangesto lug allthe props out ofthe connex boxes to the shooting bays, very sturdy andthe sides fold down so it can be stowed in the back of a car fairly easily

btw i tip my cap and applaud you for your determination to get your father out and about, i am saddened that i could not do the same for mine before he passed, its great to have family and friends get to enjoy this fun sport of ours

I am new to uspsa and will be attending an intro class next week (Apr.23). I dug up a cowboy action cart instead of packing a range bag. I was just wondering of anyone else uses carts?

I use my 3-gun "cart" which is a old baby jogger stroller thing that has been modified with shelves for all my crap. Works great for hauling a little or a lot of gear.

I picked up one of these. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it looks okay for harder ground, not sure about sand and mud though. It should fit into a Cobalt.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_089W017182600001P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

I have the same exact cart, only green, & Love it - perfect for hauling everything around.

For pistol matches lugging gear for several try one of these

master:NT040.jpg?is=355,355,0xffffff

You can easily carry 4 full range bags

For local matches I run one ^of these, when I go out of town I have a CED backpack, it has a fold-up seat in it that is very handy

Edited by TCKev

That was my plan Glockster. It's nice to be able to hang your belt for things like bathroom breaks. Please remember I have never shot uspsa and I am just trying to learn my p's and q's so I don't act like the FNG.

Are magazines loaded at a loading table or while you sit on the bench? I can't imagine approaching a loading table with a cart.

thanks

You'll be going on bathroom breaks with your belt + gun. And everywhere else. It's easier just to realize now: you will probably not be able to remove your belt or your gun all day at a match. Our safety rules won't allow it. Even at major matches there aren't enough safe areas to make this practical.

Do people seriously steal other people's stuff, like an uplula??

It probably happens, I just haven't seen or heard of it at the matches I've attended. Regarding an uplula, my guess would be someone was loading on the table, left it, walked away. Next guy comes up, starts loading, uses the Uplula, and gets distracted, then throws it in his bag because he has one and thought it was his. Honest mistake, but still sucks.

I got a shotgun stolen at a match last year. I have no clue how it happened, but it did.

in my neck ofthe woods ammo nor mags are allowed in the safe area's guns only, newbies get warned once, then thank you foryour donation...we only went to that because people were inthe safe area's checkin the drop free of their mags when they were loaded!!!! yeah only time would tell till we got a KABOOM in a safe area...i know you shot CAS a few yrs back, and admittedly you said CAS was a lil loose in their rules, as i know i have seen a quite a few CAS matches...how about this, before you trot out the mega cart(minus the potty i hope) why not trot on out to a USPSA match and see what people are running with??? get a feel for how much stuff you actually do or dont need(kinda like my cruise to tahiti a few yrs back, i could have left 2 bags home and just run with 3 tank tops and 2 swim trunks an a pair of teva's)

This is obviously not consistent with USPSA rules. If your club is putting on a USPSA match, they need to be under USPSA rules--there are no local rules in this game.

• 1 month later...

For pistol matches lugging gear for several try one of these

master:NT040.jpg?is=355,355,0xffffff

You can easily carry 4 full range bags

For local matches I run one ^of these, when I go out of town I have a CED backpack, it has a fold-up seat in it that is very handy

I need to put mine together and try it out

I picked up one of these. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it looks okay for harder ground, not sure about sand and mud though. It should fit into a Cobalt.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_089W017182600001P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

I have the same exact cart, only green, & Love it - perfect for hauling everything around.

Having gone to my first match this weekend with my son, we really needed a cart. After seeing several of these same carts, and how handy they are, I picked one up this week at Costco. I think it was $59. Dick's Sporting Goods also carries them. This will be my son's Father's Day gift to me. :roflol:

I took Dad and the cart to their first match last weekend. At first we got some funny looks, lots of them, then our squad figured out how nice it was to have a huge shade umbrella. We made lots of friends that day with our "nice ice cream cart". lol