Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top round in the mag pushed forward

Bergie

I've shot about 5000 rounds through my 1911 9mm and it has run flawlessly. Not one problem.

Shot a match on Saturday and the gun ran great.

On Sunday went to the range to practice using the same ammo that I used the day before in the match and the mags would not drop out. The top round in the mag was being pushed forward so that when I fired a round and then tried to drop the mag to reload, the round was pushed forward enough so it was pressing on the barrel ramp so it would not drop down.

I didn't change anything. It started doing this out of the blue. Every mnag does it and almost every round. It doesn't matter how many rounds are in the mag. They all do it.

My loads are 1.135-1.14 OAL

I have tried a 147 BBI and 130 BBI. Both do the exact same thing.

Wilson 9mm 10 round ETM mags with the new style base pad.

Any help?

Thanks

Edited by Bergie

When I shot limited, I used lead bullets and after awhile some of the bullet lube get smeared on the outside of the cases.

I had the same malfunctions you are experiencing. I cleaned the lube off and everything was fine.

Guess the lube added enough friction to drag the underlying round forward causing it to stick out past the front of the mag.

Just something to look for, might not be the problem in your case.

It happens from time to time. Clean the underside of the slide, brass collects on it adding friction. The slide is pulling the round forward. One goes in the barrel, the round under that gets dragged forward by the slide.

Check mag lip dimensions. Replace mag springs. Clean entire pistol. Just some things to try.

When the problem started I cleaned everything. Took all the mags apart and cleaned all the internals, gun cleaned inside and out. Still the same problem.

I haven't tried cleaning the lube off the rounds yet. It's worth a shot.

Thanks

Inspect the disconnector rail on the bottom of the slide for and crud or burrs, etc. Also check the leading lower edge of the bolt face for anything abnormal. Cleaning is good sometimes too :rolleyes: This problem is common with new CZs. The solution is to polish the disconnector rail smooth and to break the edge of the bolt face. Since your gun is fairly used, you probably want to look for burrs, scratches and crud...

Good luck,

Chuck

• 3 weeks later...

I think I have it figured out now.

I was using a case lube when I was loading my ammo. Noticed the rounds were a bit sticky so I loaded 200 rounds with no lube and the problem went away. Nothing else changed.

Hopefully that holds true for the next 200...and then some.

Very common problem with old style 9mm mags. They where made from 38 super mags with a block in the back to make up for the shorter case, problem is they didn't lengthen the feed lips so it left very short feed lips. Newer designs either front or rear block take care of that with correct feed lips. I prefer the front rib design and have no problems with them unless the magazine is messed up right out of the box.

Having said that I've shot a lot with the old style and never had a problem but it was always on my mind. I guess if you where quick enough you might capture the round doing a reload but I'm nowhere near that fast.