Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 s&w case head seperation

Mat Price

Had a case fully separate today. using 4.7 grains of tite group a 180 pd FMJ @ 1.135. did not feel like an over pressure round had normal recoil didn't even blow the mag out of the gun. Question is could a split case mouth cause this?. it is 169 PF through 2 different chronys. It did however run the slide hard enough backwards to bugger up my link a bit and the slide is sticking and slightly out of time. The portion of the case that is left is still in the bbl. Going to have my gun smith remove it tomorrow.

Edited by Mat Price

yeah I am thinking it had a split in it. I went through and double checked every round in my bag and found two more. Guess i need to start inspecting better. I always inspect to the sizing die. these had to have split after the seating or crimping.

*let that be a lesson to me!*

I think it stressed and stretched my link a bit cause i am getting a bit of barrel lock up issues since. hopefully thats what it is and 20 dollar link and pin fixes it.

Yes. A split mouth can do that.

The split means that there is nothing resisting setback. Setback can and will raise pressures to kaboom levels.

A lot of range brass is damaged beyond saving. Are you inspecting for that?

yes I am inspecting for splits in the case and rings around the case web. before they go in the press. I need to do a better job post press.

set back I bet that was what happened. case mouth split and pushed the projectile way back when the gun went to battery and over pressured things.

again lesson learned.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 on the above info about split necks and setback. I do my serious inspection of rounds after everything is done. I find it lots easier to see brass damage that way. Small splits are sometimes hard to find in empty cases, but loading will stretch it out. The tip about inspection while loading mags is a good one.