Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading for Glock 27

jmoney

Hi there, I have been trying to find a safe load data for the G27. I am using an EGW full resizer to avoid any case bulge problems, and 180 gr FMJ from montana gold bullets. I am looking for a powder/grain count to give a safe reload, and was also wondering how hard of a crimp I should do.

I am reloading just for practice, for carry I use factory ammo.

Edited by jmoney

You might indicate the powder you are using, so someone can answer. I don't have any answers, but that info is critical to decide on an answer. Also, I know people are going to suggest that you use some of the reloading handbooks.

Good luck.

I see what you mean. I just looked at Hogdon's reloading page (http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp). You (and I, also, as I will be loading something similar to those bullets, later - also in 40) probably need to start with a 4.1 gr charge, using the 1.125 OAL, and gradually work up to see how our weapons handle each charge.

Montana Gold has provided me good bullets in the past, but this time I'll be using some Speer 180 gr FMJ, so I'll have to work my way up, also. Sorry for the lack of a specific answer, but I haven't gotten to those bullets yet.

Good Luck on your reloading! I am enjoying it (reloading, and shooting!)

I'll be interested in any other responses to this thread!

Just a clarification.

I am also using Win 231 (which I am told is the same a Hogdon 38).

I am using Winchester Small Pistol Primers (SPP).

And using range pick up brass.

I am reloading on a Dillon RL550.

My reloads for my 27 are 4.0 grains of Power Pistol, a 1.130 O.A.L. and a crimp just tight enough that when I push the cartridge against my wooden bench top, the O.A.L. doesn't change. This load has a power factor around 125 which is nice and soft. Power Pistol is just a slower burning Bullseye. Hope this helps.

It looks like a little more study is in order. Pick up a manual or load book for the 40. Just FYI, Lyman 49th shows start and max for a 180 gr JHP to be 5.0 and 5.6, respectively, at 1.125 OAL (not 1.25).

It looks like a little more study is in order. Pick up a manual or load book for the 40. Just FYI, Lyman 49th shows start and max for a 180 gr JHP to be 5.0 and 5.6, respectively, at 1.125 OAL (not 1.25).

my bad i meant to say 1.125 OAL, Is there a target FPS I should be looking at in order to make a consistent, safe 40 S&W load for the G27

Don't worry about FPS at this point. It is always wise to begin with the start load, especially if you are new to loading with the 40. I would stay away from max load (higher velocity) until you get a lot more experience under your belt. 231 is okay but a bit on the slow side for general range work IMO (but people certainly do use this and slower burning powders), I like WSF and Power Pistol. Be sure to visually check each charged case to make sure you don't have a double charge or an uncharged round. Reloading for a higher pressure round like the 40 S&W can be pretty unforgiving, so you can't be too careful when you are starting out! Read and learn all you can before you start cranking out rounds.

For someone new to the game, a slower powder (like PP) fills the case better and thus it is easier to detect if you accidentally make a double charge (although 231 shouldn't be hard to detect a double). Also, slower burners often give higher velocities with less pressure. Just checking Lyman, 6.0 gr at 1.115 OAL is the recommended start load. Personally, I like to push the length of all of my 40 loads out to the 1.120 - 1.125 range.

+1 on Flslim's post on both powders, I like the versatility and price of power pistol, I load my 9mm, .40cal (glock27), 45acp, and sometimes 44 magnum. Different manuals have different starting loads and max loads invest in some reloading manuals atleast 3 so you can reference back and forth between manuals. Hornady7th ed.starting load for power p. is 4.6gr and lyman 49th ed. Is 6.?(dont have my books in fromt of me at the moment) so I wasnt forsure what to start with so I started at 6.0 and worked my way up from there.. My 27 likes 6.6 - 6.7 for a sub compact blaster!

+1 on Flslim's post on both powders, I like the versatility and price of power pistol, I load my 9mm, .40cal (glock27), 45acp, and sometimes 44 magnum. Different manuals have different starting loads and max loads invest in some reloading manuals atleast 3 so you can reference back and forth between manuals. Hornady7th ed.starting load for power p. is 4.6gr and lyman 49th ed. Is 6.?(dont have my books in fromt of me at the moment) so I wasnt forsure what to start with so I started at 6.0 and worked my way up from there.. My 27 likes 6.6 - 6.7 for a sub compact blaster!

is that 6.7 with a 180 gr FMJ? I'm using montana gold 180 FMJs

and is the 6.7 a hot load? I really like having 2 hands, don't want to loose one from a hot load in the 27.

1) Don't be afraid of the .40. It's to be respected just like any caliber but it's nothing special to reload for compared to 9mm for instance. Especially if your Glock is less then 10 years old.

2) You don't need a push through die. All you need is a good sizing die.

3) Power Pistol is a great powder for .40. Especially, if you shoot outside. Inside it's got a good flash. If you shoot inside use another powder with a similar speed.

4) Any medium burn powder (like Power Pistol) in .40 is going to need a middle level charge. Start low but plan on working it up to midrange. DON'T pick a medium speed powder and expect to run it at starting loads.

5) WSF is another good option.

6) Crimp in pistol is always "just remove the flare" nothing more.

7) Crimp is not used to hold a pistol bullet in place. The case being sized below bullet size it what hold pistol bullets in place.

Edited by 98sr20ve

Is there any disadvantage to using a pushthrough die? I have a 3 die set from berry's, but i also have an EGW full sizer in case of any bulge, my glock is less than 6 months old, it is a gen 3 27. I am reloading on a dillon 550

I use standard Lee dies and they size the case 100% to the case gauge. I personally think a push through and EGW is a waste when all my Lee dies size the case to below spec so they fit a case gauge easily. Try it yourself. Lee makes a pretty good sizer.

and is the 6.7 a hot load? I really like having 2 hands, don't want to loose one from a hot load in the 27.

Yes it is a hot enough, I have worked my way up from 6.0 .. my two manuals say 6.7 is hot but hornady says 7.3 to be a hot load so I like to respect the 40cal round and stay within 6.6 or 6.7 I use MG 180grHp and Hornady180grHp and some times 155grHp... I recomend you start at the starting load and work your way up watch for signs of preasure and flatend primers cause your gonna need your hands to post your report... :goof: as for dies I just use dillon dies have not had a problem with glock brass even from my glocks. Now if I come across this problem then I might invest in the GR-x carbride die Good luck..

Yes it is a hot enough, I have worked my way up from 6.0 .. my two manuals say 6.7 is hot but hornady says 7.3 to be a hot load so I like to respect the 40cal round and stay within 6.6 or 6.7 I use MG 180grHp and Hornady180grHp and some times 155grHp... I recomend you start at the starting load and work your way up watch for signs of preasure and flatend primers cause your gonna need your hands to post your report... :goof: as for dies I just use dillon dies have not had a problem with glock brass even from my glocks. Now if I come across this problem then I might invest in the GR-x carbride die Good luck..

are you using your stock g27 barrel when reloading brass without a push through die? What Generation is it?.

@ Jmoney, I am using Glock gen3 (no rails) stock barrel with pinky extension's on my 4 mags to help palm my grips with trijicon night sights fixed had it for 10 +years sorry im drifting off a lil.. Lol. I dont use NO push through dies, I just do my normal case prep and run em through my Dillon dies. I pick up brass from the range too and reload that stuff too.. My opinion save the money from the push through dies and save it for components (powders primers and bullets)! Untill you come across "The glock bulge rumor problem"..

I'm going to keep my EGW die since I already have it. I'm going to set up the press tonight and start with a group of 50 rounds.

6.0 Grains power pistol 180 gr FMJ Montana Gold, OAL 1.125

Any thing I need to watch out for when testing the rounds to determine if it is safe to keep this load?

Just signs of pressure and you should do fine.. Once you got your press dialed in just check yuor powder drop about every 10_20 drops... Good luck.

I wouldn't even bother checking the powder drop that often...I've loaded thousands of rounds with PP, and to me, it one of the most consistent metering powders out there. Set it and forget it....For what it's worth, I've loaded PP to 7.3 grains with a 180 lead TC bullet in 40....very stout, and just a bit of pressure sign on the primer. Not something I would enjoy shooting everyday.

I didn't have any problems with the metering, once it was dialed in a t 6.0. I tested every tenth round for this first batch of fifty and all came out at 6.0. I feel like it would have been obvious if there was a double charge in there when looking at it visually