Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barries SWC Bullets

mibpf

My neighbor currently shoots 45 cal and he would like me to reload him up some semi wad cutters. I have been looking at the Berry's SWC from Powder Valley. I have looked at on the Montana Gold site but they do not sale any SWC. Are the Berry's SWC good? DO they produce low recoil? The powder I have is Titegroup and Unique.

when I first started reloading 6 years ago I Started with .45acp and berrys 185gr SWC. I used w231 and they worked great. I started with some very light powder puff loads and cycled in a 5" kimber just fine I think this load was 5.5gr and also went up to 6gr, but this was 6 years ago and have to check my records to be sure. I did like the berrys though.

I've shot lots 'o Berry's - mostly round nose. I've never noticed any kind of problem.

I don't think bullet shape or vendor matters much in the recoil department. I don't believe you'll notice any difference in recoil from one 200gr SWC to another. Powder does make a difference, but I think both of the ones you mentioned are popular around here - so your recoil should be acceptable.

Out of all the "plated" bullets, I've had the best results with Berrys, but, make sure you don't over crimp them. They aren't as tough as a jacketed bullet.

Out of all the "plated" bullets, I've had the best results with Berrys, but, make sure you don't over crimp them. They aren't as tough as a jacketed bullet.

How much crimp do you put on them? I just loaded up a few Berrys 230 plated and crimped to .469-.470. It did leave a ring around a few that I pulled.

I guess I'll be the odd-man-out. I tried Berry's 200gr SWC and did not like them. They would not feed in my favorite Kimber. This gun is 100% reliable with 200g LSWC or any other bullet shape. The short nose on Berry's seem to be the problem for me. I tried different OAL's and tighter crimps. NO GO, they just don't work for me. They do shoot OK in my Springfield. I prefer Montana Gold and LSWC for all my 45's.

I shoot the Berry's flat nose plated bullet in all my .45's and they work great, except my G36. It just won't chamber them due to a short feed ramp. My 1911's have digested thousands of them with no problem. I shoot them over Unique and they work well. No feeding problems in any of them.

I guess I'll be the odd-man-out. I tried Berry's 200gr SWC and did not like them. They would not feed in my favorite Kimber. This gun is 100% reliable with 200g LSWC or any other bullet shape. The short nose on Berry's seem to be the problem for me. I tried different OAL's and tighter crimps. NO GO, they just don't work for me. They do shoot OK in my Springfield. I prefer Montana Gold and LSWC for all my 45's.

I'm with Waldog. In Berry's 45acp I've tried 185 HBRN, 185 SWC, 200 RN, 200 SWC, 200 RS & 230 RN. The SWC had some feeding issues and the others just were not as accurate as the H&G 68 profile 200 gr LSWC. For some people they're great. I bought mine on sale at Cabela's back in the old days when they were cheap.

My neighbor currently shoots 45 cal and he would like me to reload him up some semi wad cutters.

Something to consider....I wouldn't want to put that in public view because it's not legal to load ammo for anybody else (even for free) without a Type 6 FFL.

• 2 weeks later...

I've run a few thousand Berry's 200gr SWC through both my Kimbers, and they work great. With 5.7gr W231 @ 1.245, they are my 16yr old son's favorite round.