Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1974 Honda 550~Four – Old school Café Racer build

TDC57

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool. Looks to be in slightly better external condition than my project bike, a 1978 Suzuki GS550E.

My plan is not to do a full restoration on it, just get it cleaned up and running, then use it for commuting and as a misc/extra bike. (My main bike is a 2002 SV650S.)

Hey thanks team.. it’s a fun and different project, that’s’ for sure.

I did manage to make a little forward progress, thou..

So progress continues with the following, removal of the motor, striping the old paint off and simi buffing the frame..

Last of the bits and pieces before the motor removal

IMG_9883.jpg

IMG_9889.jpg

The one man way of removing a motor.. Lets hope I’ll have some help getting it in..

IMG_9885.jpg

IMG_9887.jpg

Now. Lets do a little polishing and see what it looks like, remember I don't wont to go too much here, just a dull metal sheen.

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

We’ll team that’s all I’ve got.. I’m off to pull out the motor apart, whish me luck. and polish the frame.. I’ll post more pics once my tank and rear seat show up..

Thank you for your time everybody and have a great one

Awesome project. Where did you get the electronic ignition kit from. I read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" years ago and I've wanted an old Honda ever since. Maybe one of these days I'll have room in the garage for another project. :)

Hey thanks sir.. it is a fun project and Yeah it does take a little room.. ;).

thank you again for your time and the kind words

Hello: Very cool project. I am getting an old Honda CB-350 twin running. I am thinking of going a little Cafe on it as well. I have to rebuild the front brake caliper and master cylinder and the handle bar switches still. It will be the best running ugly CB-350 for a while. I hate doing paint and body work :devil: They race these old Honda since there are plenty of parts available since they made 600,000- 1,000,000 of these world wide :surprise: The 550 is a great bike as well but I like the looks of the CB-400 with a yellow gas tank :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Hey thank you Eric.. I'm glad you like it, I'm actually a painter by trade, so the body work / paint is actually what I'm looking forward to doing.. hahaha.

Thanks for your time sir..

Very cool!

I used to have one exactly like yours except mine was green. Thanks for the memories! B)

Cool.. Thank you and you're more than welcome sir.. many more to come ;)

That's awesome!

Thanks Man.. I've got a long way to go, but as long as I'm making forward progress I'm happy..

Can I ask what polishing compound you used, That did a great job! I assume that combined with a lot of elbow grease

I'll start a new thread for this one.. It's a couple of pages long..

Shaun.

Looks great! I've got a similar project that's been ongoing for a few years now. Here's how it stands right now. It's based on a '78 CB750F.

100_1633.jpg

Very COOL... I would have loved to do a 750.. and its a 78.. you dog... That is nice..

Thanks for sharing..

If I remember correctly, the alternator on these was a bit peeked. Don't know if it was the voltage regulator or just a bad design on the alternator itself but it seemed to have a hard time keeping up with the headlight if you switched over to a halogen. I also remember that there was an old engineer from Japan that had been with Honda racing named Yoshimira. He came to the USA and was building amazing bikes using the 400 4 and the 550 like yours. After he got done with them they'd redline at about 14 or 16 thousand RPM and make crazy horsepower!! I bet there are still parts around if you feel like cracking the cases! Cool project!

Very cool.. thank you so much for the information.. I'll do a little goggling later and see what I find out..

thank you again

This is crazy cool. Thanks for sharing the details so far!

Where is George?!?!?

I would absolutely love to do this. Maybe when I get more settled.

It's pretty obvious you have some mad skills. Only someone that is that good can make it look so easy!!!

Please keep the updates coming and the pictures flowin!!!

Thank you sir.. I'm sorry I posted this up in the wrong spot!.. my bad.. thanks for moving it..

sorry I dont know who George is?

I just like my projects, actually I kind of specialize in "special projects" lol.. Here's my website if you want to see some (strange stuff) hahahahaa

www.zombiecamo.com

Very cool. Looks to be in slightly better external condition than my project bike, a 1978 Suzuki GS550E.

My plan is not to do a full restoration on it, just get it cleaned up and running, then use it for commuting and as a misc/extra bike. (My main bike is a 2002 SV650S.)

Thanks Man.. I've got a long way to go, but once I get the parts here, I should blow through it all pretty quickly. I'm actually pulling off the head and splitting the case today.. wish me luck hahaaa..

Coolness :cheers:

Now you have to show us some nose art!!!

My favorite form of art work :wub:

Jim

Hey Jim.. Well.. ok.. just a few thou..

Shaun. .

Here’s a custom sign I’m doing for his one guy now..

IMG_9483.jpg

IMG_9485-1.jpg

A few past guitars:

IMG_6477-5.jpg

IMG_9351-1.jpg

Some access panels

IMG_6596-3.jpg

IMG_6841-5.jpg

Heres GI M1 Carbine Im doing up now in a Marine theme WWII art.. This should look outstanding, imo hahahaha

IMG_9611-1.jpg

An ammo can I did,

IMG_7352-5.jpg

I can go on and on, but thats enough.. Im sorry Jim.. I like to paint.. I also do a mean / wicked zombies and skulls too.. hahahaa

IMG_7351-1.jpg

IMG_7708-5.jpg

but thats a whole different thread.. ;) Actually I just enjoy the depth I have when it comes to projects. .I also just started to do some abstract art too…..

IMG_8838-2.jpg

IMG_9588-1.jpg

Yeah I know... Im different.. hahaa

So you can kind a see now, that this bike build of mine is going to be a little different.. ;)

I’m off to get some steel, I need to fab up some new side covers.. Ahh I get use the tourch. .Yea me.. haa.aa..

Oohhh.. I also got some .30 mm shell casings out of warthog (buddy of mine) I’m planning on using as the turn signgle housing too, but that’s a little farther down.

Have a great one team

Edited by TDC57

Ok team, Ive got just a quick update, I managed to make some small progress forward, Im fabed up one of the new side covers..

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0028-1.jpg

Im not sold on it yet, but Im close.. hahaha Im going try something a little different on the other side and see I like it better.. More pics to follow..

Thank you again for your time everybody.

Tdc..

Edited by TDC57

Hello: You are a painting fool :cheers: I prefer engines and mechanical stuff personally. It should be a great bike when you are done. I am still fighting a front caliper piston that is stuck on two different calipers :sight: I will win this battle even if I have to bore one of them out and make a new pistol for it :surprise: Bikes are fun to work on and don't take as much space as cars when they are apart. Thanks, Eric

Here’s all of the bits and pieces associated with a clutch, again just incase anyone is curious, that is..

IMG_0054.jpg

Here’s all of the bits and pieces that I need to polish up, yeah me.. hahahaa Yhaa.. Hours of good times here.. ;)

IMG_0057.jpg

I was also looking through some old boxes and found this!.. Yeah score!.. hahahaa. Nothing says “old school” like steel braided lines..

I’ve got an idea, oohhh this is going to be nice.. See team, I’m planning on hard piping in all of the wiring (more on that later), which should really look different, I like different, anyway, this falls in nicely into the overall look / theme I’m going for.. Well that is IMO..

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg