Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using My Front Sight Differently

EricW

A thought inspired from another thread...

In the beginning, when I was young, I thought the front sight was sort of equal in priority in aiming to my rear sight.

Then, I decided it was all-important and focused on it intently.

Then, I realized the truth was somewhere in the middle.

Then, I laid off shooting for a while.

Today, my front sight is my tension barometer. It's behavior tells me volumes about my relaxation and the neutrality of my grip. Occasionally, I'll use it to aim the gun, too.

I was just not focusing my EYES properly and the focusing was drifting somehow. I simply decided to make the front sight the PERMANENT place of focus, let the target calmly fall into place BEYOND that, and go 'tunnel-vision' with it all. Sure does work for me. One has to find SOME way to compensate for astigmatism....! :D

I realized the truth was somewhere in the middle.

How about truth being all the way at the other end?

I was speaking with one of our revolver shooters this weekend and he told us that he watches his rear sight :o and lets the front sight fall into the notch before he shoots again. :unsure:

I haven't played aroud with it yet, at first I wanted to just chalk it up to the usual "those revo guys are strange." :rolleyes: I can't argue with his results though because it reallys works for him.

• 1 month later...
I can't argue with his results though because it reallys works for him.

Important is what works for YOU!

I'm trying to let my front sight be the speedometer for me because my eyes are getting old! :(

Henny

I have just put a Dawson fibre optic front sight (red) on my gun. Tried if for the first time in a local match this past weekend. While dry firing in the safety zone just before the match I recall it being bright red right in the line of sight..

But after the match, going through it mentally I don't recall ever seing the bright red dot while I shot any of the stages. I've played my mental movie 1000 times now and I can recall foot placements, reloads, where my finger was during reload, etc, I even remeber seing a butterfly fly past a target on on stage BUT i can not remember sing that bright red dot.

There was not a cloud in the sky and I shot 86% of the possible points in good times (some smokin) and actully won the match (my first match win) so I'm very excited but it puzzles me that I don't recall the red dot in my front post.

Is it because I'm partially colorblind, not focusing on my sights, wearing contacs instead of glasses (have had problems with contacts before). Puzzling.

Bottom line could be - it worked - leave it.

I've played my mental movie 1000 times now and I can recall foot placements, reloads, where my finger was during reload, etc, I even remeber seing a butterfly fly past a target on on stage BUT i can not remember sing that bright red dot.

Bottom line could be - it worked - leave it.

Your brain processes inputs differently. It sounds like seeing your front sight is an "automatically aware" input that the brain can process along pathways it has learned so well it doesn't require a "stop and look then decide what to do" level of function. All of the target images are new so they require first level awareness, as does your footsteps and reloading manuevers. I think your brain remembers clearly the things that took a lot of processing.