Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Typical USPSA Gear for S&W 686

gr7070

I shoot a S&W 686 in IDPA and am looking to dabble in USPSA.

What's a typical set up for all the gear in USPSA using a S&W 686? Holster, speedloaders, speedloader holders, belt, additional items?

Much thanks in advance!

I'm sure others would be able to give a detailed list of gear to get, here's one if you're a visual kinda person. Caleb on the PowerFactorshow, talking about the types of revolver gear he uses in both IDPA and USPSA. There are links in the shownotes to places you can find the items.

http://www.powerfactorshow.com/2011/03/13/episode-14-gun-selection-revolvers/

Hope that helps!

Edited by robot

Check out the Safariland 333 speedloader carriers. They work better for ICORE Classic and USPSA than any of the IDPA-compliant ones in my opinion.

A better option is to have another cylinder cut for moonclips and run those in USPSA. To be strictly compliant with IDPA SSR rules, you'd need another cylinder because the IDPA rulebook does not allow for this modification (unless you can convince a very observant MD that the modification is really an extremely precise and aggressive chamfering job).

I used a similar strategy (less the MD discussion) for the IRC last year and it worked well for me. I used the same 6" 66 in Classic and Limited 6-shooter. You'll find moonclips faster and more reliable to reload than any speed-loader option.

Craig

Edited by Bones

Heck, you might as well shoot the same gear you're using for IDPA, just make sure you have at least 8 speedloaders available.

The number of speedloaders needed was one of the questions I had. Thanks.

I use Safariland Comp-3 which I understand to be desirable for USPSA as well. So I'm good with using the same type of loader. Plus I'm cheap, so using as much of the same gear is preferred.

I have three Ready Tactical loader carriers. I'll need to increase my capacity by 5 more carriers. From the above it looks like Safariland 333 carriers are recommended. I can buy 2 of those for less than I can buy 5 more Ready tactical. I will need to mix and match my carriers then to achieve a capacity of 8. Any reason not to get two Safariland 333 and also use two Ready Tactical in conjunction?

I have the CompTac belt holster for IDPA use. Sounds like that will do just fine in USPSA as well. Maybe not quite as fast, but I'm not fast enough for that difference to matter much at the moment anyway. Just for my info, what is the recommended race holster for a 686?

Looks like I'll be set once I get more speedloaders and more carriers.

If y'all have anything else to add feel free. Thanks!

Edited by gr7070

Just for my info, what is the recommended race holster for a 686?

A lot of us run plain old kydex belt holsters for USPSA. I ran a CR Speed for a few years, but switched to a Blade-Tech DOH after the CR Speed dumped my gun on the ground one time too many.

A lot of us run plain old kydex belt holsters for USPSA.

Thanks Mike. That's my CompTac as well. Sounds like my gear will work just fine once I get enough of it...

Much thanks to all. Feel free to post any additional items of interest.

+1 to what Bones and Carmony said...you can use your IDPA gear in USPSA, just have plenty of speedloaders available. Two of the three mount Safariland 333s will work very well, and you can stick a single holder, or two, from any maker, anywhere you have room left on your belt. The USPSA guys go through a lot more ammo than IDPA guys do. But, I have noticed that many USPSA shooters take pity on a revo guy and with just a little prompting on your part will pick up and return to you your steady stream of empty Comp IIIs (at least many do for me). The same kydex holster you use in IDPA(I use a Blade Tech) is fine. As for shooting a 686 in Minor caliber in USPSA... don't worry about a "competitive edge"... shoot fast, hit As, and you can be competitive at the club level. And, when the COF favors a six shot gun (rare, but can happen) you'll finish the stage with a big grin after you have whupped some bottom feeders. I say go for it! It's great trigger time, and it will help you in IDPA.

Chris

The USPSA guys go through a lot more ammo than IDPA guys do.

The other reason you need so many loaders is some stages don't divide by 6 very well and you'll drop a bunch of live rounds reloading early.

I think this probably lessens somewhat as your shooting skill improves and you get better at stage breakdown. I shot a section with Bones and he saw a bunch of opportunities I would've missed to take harder shots to improve movement and reload efficiency.

A better option is to have another cylinder cut for moonclips and run those in USPSA. To be strictly compliant with IDPA SSR rules, you'd need another cylinder because the IDPA rulebook does not allow for this modification

Seriously? I'm not entirely surprised if it's so, but the rulebook doesn't mention this in the list of excluded modifications. The rules are clear that SSR guns must use rimmed ammo and may not be re-loaded with moons, but those requirements can still be satisfied if the cylinder's been cut for moons. Does the modification somehow help speed up a standard ejection and/or speedloader reload?

If considering a single revolver for all-around competition, I've maintained a 4" 686 cut for moons would be the best choice, but I may have to concede that honor to a 4" 625. :(

Tom

Seriously?...the rulebook doesn't mention this in the list of excluded modifications.

Yep, unfortunately Bones is correct.

The rules have an inclusive list which is meant to include all allowed modifications. If it's not on the list it's not an allowed mod. I suspect one could get a clarification from IDPA that would allow the mod, but who knows, and without said clarification technically it's disallowed.

When I want to practice reloads for IDPA SSR I'll shoot a USPSA match with my speedloader gun and IDPA gear. I just thread my regular belt so that the buckle is between the belt loops on my left side so that I can mount speedloader holders in front of the holster and in the middle. I like to have 8 holders for insurance. You will get plenty of practice reloading on the 32 round field courses. It's a lot more work than shooting a moon clip gun but it's great practice and as mentioned above, the other shooters usually take pity on you and help gather your speedloaders up for you. :cheers: