Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VV N-310 in 40?

JCB

Today I use VV N-320

Before in my 9mm I tested N-310 also with kind of good feel to it, nice to shoot with, but didnt use it to much.

Most people here in Norway dont recomend using N-310.

But have thought of experimenting with N-310 in my 40.

What is the pros and cons, things to look out for.... etc...

Or is it just to forget?

It is an extremely fast powder. Using it in a pressure "sensitive" round like the .40 could cause problems. It would very good if you wanted light target loads, but, like Clays, it can be very spikey in pressure. A slower powder would get rid of some of the snap, and be a lot better for mid-range to max loads.

since it is a single base powder is isnt as volatile/sensitive at Clays but it is still dangerous if you dont pay attention to what you are doing. I found it to be the softest shooting load ever with 200 gr loads in my 40 limited gun shootin major loads

HODGDON Manual 2011

Relative Burn Rate - Chart fastest to slowest.

VV N310 rates No. 3

For kinda of a guide Clays is No. 10, Titegroup #14 Solo 1000 - #16, WST #18, VV N320 #24

Just My Opinion, if a re-loader is gonna play around with powders faster than Titegroup be very careful, buy a Chrono, start low and work up to loads you and pistol like, Good Safety glasses, shooting gloves and/or kevlar gloves. Kabooms and AAHHH POOPS usually blow the mag out and burned, injury to hands,eyes , face.

A lot of the old experienced re-loaders don't use the fast stuff, risk to great for the lil gain.

Old mountain saying here "Don't do Dumb Sheit", also Bad decisions return to bite you in the butt with big teeth.

File or Flush,

Perry

As I recall even Rob Leatham experimented with VV310 in 40 major a few years ago and abandoned it for the reason that has already been mentioned - pressure spikes that had a nasty habit of doing bad things to cases. I think he went back to VV 320, which is a whole lot safer at major power factor.

I've shot quite a bit of N310 in .40 major. It works great, and is wonderful to shoot, but obviously you have to be cautious. I only used it in a 6" barrel and with lead (coated) bullets, which both allowed me to use less powder. Never blew any cases, but I did have a couple of pierced primers at first. If you're shooting jacketed bullets and/or have a 5" barrel it may not work as well.

Personally I don't see any reason not to try it, if you have the urge. It's cheaper than N320 since you use less. It's softer than N320 (and everything else for that matter). It's safer than Clays.

I'll throw in with MoNsTeR. I've shot 10K+ rounds of 185 Precisions under 3.9 to 4.1 grains of N310 with no issues. Soft shooting, accurate and single digit SD. Switched to Solo 1000 after getting tired of trying to find it.

• 4 weeks later...

hi shooters ... here, in italy, I want to test major loads vv n310 and n320 powders

off course, n310 feel softer to shot, but a accurate test in a manometric station say the last word

using 180 grains plated bullets, n320 is in the range of pressure that's near limits of saami and cip pressure spec

n310 loads is always over these spec, a lot

adjuting oal to the maxximum accepted from the gun change only a little the question

faster powders ensure best speed costancy, softer shooting, but the correct working range of pressure is foundamental

luca