Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is IDPA training?

Billf

Two thoughts about this topic.

1. Some think of the shooting disciplines as games and play them as such. Other's realize they want to carry a pistol for self defense but are not as competent as they would like to be and participate in the shooting disciplines as a matter of training.

2. Everything one experiences is training. Some of it should be unlearned.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look at it in an analogy to boxing ...

IDPA, IPSC, and similar practical shooting sports are like shadow boxing is to real boxing

Our drills are like hitting the heavy bag, road work, and the speed bag.

Force on force training is like sparring in the ring.

So (as I've said in the past), whether or not something is "training" depends both on how you define the word and how you approach the activity. With the right mindset, shooting IDPA can very much be an aspect of "training." While it's not comprehensive in an of itself, it certainly can be a valuable component (especially if you can't find a USPSA match to shoot :lol: ).

I was discussing this with Bruce Gray a few weeks ago, and he made a good point about mindset as it relates to shooting "combat" pistol matches: warriors want to win. I doesn't matter if it's a match or a fight, warriors want to win. I'm not convinced there's as much difference in the mindset of winners, in either a match or a real fight, as many people think there is.

I think that most of the differences talked about here depend on whether we are talking about how individuals look at a match and how range owners, club presidents, match directors and safety officers look at a match. The owners, clubs and primary officers simply cannot afford to take the position that they are “training” anyone. The liability issues are very real and will always figure into this equation.

Be safe, have fun...shoot to win

geezer

Whenever I carry, I receive a great deal of comfort knowing that I have, not only, my favorite competition pistol at my side, but also the LGB in condensed form. I can only hope that the bad guys adhere to the rules regarding the proper use of tactics. :P

You guys who congratulated me on my recent b-day know how old I am. (References to dirt, and God as a Lance Corporal come to mind.)

You see, I've been down this road before. And I did it before all the old geezers like me were even in IPSC.

When I was training in the martial arts (Hey, did you know Ueshiba personally?) my instructor didn't want us entering tournaments because "we'd learn bad habits." What he meant was, we'd have to follow the rules, which dictated our tactics, which might be unpleasant on the street.

Since I was ejected from my first and only full contact tournament for excessive contact, and won my three-on-one knife fight, I have to figure Mr. Shim was right.

The key is "when the rules dictate the tactics." You see, I was ejected from the f-c tournament for an elbow strike. (combined with a footsweep.) Years later, the same strike dropped one of my assailants like a bad habit.

So, if you really want to use your match entry time as training, you simply have to approach it from a "real world" viewpoint, and eat the procedurals or FTDRs sent your way.

Or, rise to the "meta-style" approach. I came up with this after leaving Tae Kwon Do to save my knees. Each fight is different. Each fight has its own "home field rules." You don't do in a knife fight what you'd do in a rifle fight, what you'd do in an artillery counterbattery duel. You "play the game" whether the game is IPSC, IDPA or Fallujah. Learn the rules. Know the penalties. Keep your score ahead of the competition.

Long story short, for IDPA to dictate that "one way is the best way" for all situations is just as silly as IPSC to say "shoot 'em when you see 'em, and don't worry about cover." They are both useful games. No more, no less.

And Duane, you and Bruce are on the right track. It's called Professionalism. The Pro plays his best game each and every time. And makes sure he's tuned and ready in time. The amateur has the luxury of sitting out the occasional game to "get his head on" or "take a break" or.... whatever else. Will you tell an Editor you can't meet his deadline because you're "sitting this one out?" No, and that is why you are a pro writer. And Bruce.