Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

front sight height

Jody Waring

Just wondering what height front sight you guys are using on your Shadows. I am using the factory rear, and with the stock 5.5 front, I find it shoots quite high. Just wondering what height and for what hold on the target. Some guys I shoot with like to hold at the bottom of a plate say at 15m for a center hit. Is that the norm? Just looking for some input. Thanks!

Not sure what I have but I have the competition rear and a dawson .100 fiber front. Not sure of the height but I shoot about 8 inches high at 25 yards. Pretty substantial. It was funny watching Phil Strader try to show me up with my gun on a 6" plate at 30 yards since I was missing it. I didn't mention that it was firing high though when I gave it to him.

I plan to get another shorter sight when I have time to figure it out.

Not sure what I have but I have the competition rear and a dawson .100 fiber front. Not sure of the height but I shoot about 8 inches high at 25 yards. Pretty substantial. It was funny watching Phil Strader try to show me up with my gun on a 6" plate at 30 yards since I was missing it. I didn't mention that it was firing high though when I gave it to him.

I plan to get another shorter sight when I have time to figure it out.

If you have the Comp rear you need a taller front sight not a shorter one ,Comp rear sight requires a 6.5mm front site

here is the link to cz's site

http://czcustom.com/CZ-Competition-Rear-Sight-1-1.aspx

Off the bench yesterday I was hitting quite high at 20m, that was with the 6.0mm and standard rear. When I got home, I installed the 6.5mm, will get out to try it this week. You guys that are running the comp rear, do you find it much better than the standard one?

What weight bullet and what pf matters a bunch too. I found my standard SP-01 with the CZC tactical rear and a Dawson .170" height (6.5mm height in CZ terms) front hit top of the blade with some nice 147gr 130ish pf reloads a buddy gave me, but consistently 1" high with the 115gr WWB or Fedearal Champion Wallyworld stuff I tend to use (I don't reload).

AFAIK, a Shadow's stock front is 5.5mm and is supposed to hit POI with a CZC competition or tactical rear instead of needing a 6.5mm front as recommended with non-Shadows when adding a CZC aftermarket rear...

I'm hoping to keep the stock Shadow fixed rear and use the same-sized Dawson .170" front as I had on the regular SP-01 w/ CZC rear and be hitting closer to right at the top of the blade with the Wallyworld 115gr stuff, let you know in a few when the new gun and sight shows up, the rear sight blade on the Shadow being further forward on the slide complicates things, not to mention CZC measuring in mm and from the bottom of the dovetail instead of in inches and from off the top of the slide like everyone else...

Wanted to add: a 6.5mm sight in CZ terms is about .165" in DawsonPrecision terms. The bottom of the dovetail to the top of the slide on CZ pistol is about .090", so if 6.5mm is .2556 in inches, subtract .090 and you get .165.

Since I shoot 115gr stuff which tends to print a little high on a gun that's supposed to be POA=POI according to what CZC recommends, after I even went a bit taller (.170 is like 6.6ish in mm), I'm hoping a Shadow in which a 1mm less high front height is recommended will hit where I want it to (top of blade).

Now, since 75 Shadows are being delivered with test targets, supposedly zeroed with WWB and a 5.5mm high front blade, once i install my aftermarket Dawson .170"/6.6mm height front sight I may be hitting low in which case out will come the file... pretty much all I know is that it's confusing, I hate math, and wish adjustable rears didn't bother me so much.

• 4 weeks later...