Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

comp material

Scarab

Hello: I am not sure that they do erode faster than steel or stainless steel. They make titanium exhaust pipes and mufflers from titanium and they seem to hold up well. Titanium does cost more and is harder to machine so that is why most don't use it. Thanks, Eric

my suppressor's tube is made out titanium to keep the weight down. Seeing as how that "part" of the suppressor is the part with the serial #, and by law the oly part that can't be repaired or replaced, it must be pretty robust to erosion.

if it makes it lighter ??? more felt recoil ???

No acutally less recoil if all other things are equal. Its all physics would you rather get hit with a 1# or a 2# hammer?

The down side to TI is it doesn't hold up like steel, and if you are making your own it will eat your tools up. I had a heavy boat anchor old school steel comp on a competitor, I put a Bedel TI on it and it really helped the balance but I wasn't happy with the flat and soft so I went to a Dawson DP-2 Comp http://www.dawsonpre...0000-1094593465 this comp of course weighed more than the TI comp but a Briley aluminum guide rod put it back to the balance of the TI comp. The DP-2 is very flat and very soft, and for me that made me faster. A Brazos steel comp is almost as light as a TI but for my money its the Dawson. IMHO.

Edited by CocoBolo

Yeah titanium comp really makes a huge difference on balancing. I am kinda addicted to titanium comps...

In my experience, titanium will outlast steel. I have couple of titanium comps with 10-25k through them, and they show virtually no signs of wear. Steel comp with 10k+ usually begins to look like "used"...

And now we are completely forgetting the thing, if titanium comp is not designed just right they have tendency to crack easier.

I too was not satisfied with Bedell comp, but RHF large titanium comp works just perfect for me.

However, if titanium comp will eat your tools, why would it wear out sooner ?

assuming they have come aways since the days ofthe 'jet' comp, i watched a 'jet' comp w/ copious amounts of AA 7 get chewed up in only one season, it would throw sparks as the owner shot it, then we made a pointto measure the baffles once a month and were surprised to see wear....but for me i like a steel comp, love a good boat anchor hehehe

Edited by calishootr

I've always been curious to see how hard anodized AL holds up, a la some of the newer Glock/XDm setups. Cheaper/easier to machine, and ultra light weight (which is subjective on merits of worth).

Anyone got a lot of major rounds through something like a SJC?

There are many alloys of titanium just like there are many alloys of steel and aluminum.

If you wanted it to last forever a chromium or cobalt nickel based superalloy is the answer It will only be $500+ for just the comp.

Steel alloys can have a good machinablity, low cost and long life. The more expensive and PITA it is to machine the better the life, just the way it is.

There are many titanium alloys for different purposes. My bet is most that become comps are not the best alloys for avoiding erosion due to availability and machinability.

A quality Ti comp will last as long as the barrel, so pick which ever one feels best for you. IMHO, I like a Ti comp on a 5" gun and a steel comp on a shorty.

Hard anodizing on aluminum is not really hard at all when you start talking about high pressure particulate erosion, but they are easy to replace so if you want super light and are willing to pay, just call it an expendable item.

Design is a whole different topic for gunsmiths with input from top shooters and maybe a gas turbine engineer.