Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Took my new STI apart....... Cannot get it back together

Looking for some help with this.

So I have a new STI Eagle (same as Edge but with Bushing barrel). I took the slide off. I went to put the slide back on and now it is stuck.

The slide went on, and the slide lock went into place but now the slide is about an 1/8 inch out of battery, the hammer is cocked and will not drop, the safety will not engage and the trigger will not release the hammer.

I can move the slide back and forth only 1/4 inch or so, so I cannot get it slid back to where I can push back out the slide lock.

Any suggestions? Do I have to take out the mainspring to get the hammer to drop to let the slide rack back?

Any help is appreciated, this is my first 1911 type gun. I am familiar with Semi Autos and have done much work on my other guns (successfully ;-)

Mike

OK, thanks for the advice, but I do not see how to remove the take down pin since I cannot move the slide back to where the small notch is to let it slide out (the small notch past the large one that it uses to hold the slide back).

Do I have to force it out, or pry it out? Right now the small tab on the inside of the stop is inside the slide and the lever will not rotate down to let that tab clear the slide.

Make sense?

Mike

Just so I understand correctly:

You were able to reassemble it, and put the slide stop through its notch in the slide, but now the slide won't move back far enough to remove it?

You may have to man-handle it a little to get the slide back.

check to make sure you are on your rails. remove your bushing and recoil spring if you can this will help remove some of the tension off the slide. It sounds like you missed the link and you should be able to put a little ass behind it to get it were you need to be.

Do I have to force it out, or pry it out?

Mike

DON'T force anything and DON'T pry anything! You shouldn't have to. Take a minute and remove the main spring housing which should free the hammer to fall back out of the way of the slide. Work gently from there.

Pat

the reason the hammer wont drop is because the disconector is being depressed by the grove in the bottom of the slide that is out of battery. or... well... its designed so the gun wont fire before the slide is all the way forward. some times the cam that the slide stop sits in can bind if the guide rod (full length on that gun) is not seated in the right spot. pics?

I've done this before too, take the bushing off and see if the barrel will come out. If it will, then the slide stop isn't through the link. I tapped mine out, took a bit but didn't go bashing it.

Once i got my slide stop back out the slide slid right off. Hopefully this is all it is. Since the barrel link is flexible, it can be tough to get it in right. Make sure you look through the slide stop hole on reassembly and see the link pass through.

Let us know if that works if you can get in unstuck. if not, pics?

I had the same problem. Ended up using a Dremel to cut the SS. If/when you do get it apart and try to put it back together again line up the link and push a similar size pin in from the backside so you can see it go thru the link and hold it in (I used the one that I had cut off) and then insert the regular one pushing out the slave pin from the back...makes it a lot easier.

FWIW

Richard

so I fixed the situation. Turns out that it took just a sharp slap of the hand and the barrel moved enough to pull the pin.

I did this with a couple of old timers and they were baffled as to what I did to get into that situation but now I know the right way to capture the recoil spring and line up the slide/frame so that the pin goes through the loop in the barrel.

Thanks for the help and video's,

Mike