Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

legal reloads for idpa

atari frank

Does anyone have a load thats legal for idpa,My friend and I joined and we reload and want to use a legal reload.I have in stock win brass,power pistol&bullseye powder,hornady 115gr,124gr or 147gr with cci 500 primers,thxs for the help,can't wait to do my first shoot.

Frank

The goal in IDPA should be based on what you would carry in a defensive role (according to the rule book). Having said that, I am sure there are many a shooter in IDPA that shoot a very light load.

Actually, given the power factors at which we are mandated to run our guns in this sport, there is no such thing as a very light load in IDPA.

Frank,

You might consider posting this question in the Beginner's Reloading forum. It would help responders if you could narrow it down to which bullet weight you want to run.

I'm not sure I would go for Bullseye with a 147-grain bullet. Bullseye is a very fast burning powder, and I believe you'd get some serious pressure issues there.Honestly, just my $0.02, but in your shoes I would choose a different, slower burning powder from the get-go.

Duane, are you saying that there is not one person loading light for local matches or qualifiers? I shoot factory ammo in SSP myself currently, I'm not a re-loader. I am having someone reload some rounds for me so I can try them out just above the minimum power floor. I want to see what difference it makes in my shooting.

No, I'm saying that at 125,000 or 165,000 power factor depending on the division, the handloads we fire, while they might or might not generate less recoil than any particular factory load, don't fall into the "really light" category. Most people load 5 points above what's required for a nice cushion at the chrono. A 130,000 pf 9mm is just about equal to most factory 9mm ball. In .45 ACP a 170,000 pf load is about like firing a Winchester Silvertip - and so forth. (Admittedly the Silvertip is toward the light end, recoil-wise, among .45 ACP combat loads but it's not like firing a popgun either.)

Classifier, not qualifier. ;)

Gotcha. I don't know much about power factors, or how they compare to factory ammo. I do think there are loads out there that will produce a lot less recoil than what I have been shooting. I just need to find a suitable load for me.

Frank,

You might consider posting this question in the Beginner's Reloading forum. It would help responders if you could narrow it down to which bullet weight you want to run.

I'm not sure I would go for Bullseye with a 147-grain bullet. Bullseye is a very fast burning powder, and I believe you'd get some serious pressure issues there.Honestly, just my $0.02, but in your shoes I would choose a different, slower burning powder from the get-go.

was Thinking about posting n the beginer's reloading forum was going to try here first,I just want to be legal with the load because you have to make power floor and you are correct about the bullseye being a fast burning powder,Thanks for all the responses from you all.

Do a search on this site. You'll find page after page of all kinds of load data. Compare 'recipes' to the powder and/or bullet manufacturer's data then choose a reasonable starting weight. If the posts are not IDPA specific look for 9mm "minor" loads. You will need access to a chronograph to know for sure how the loads are performing.

• 3 weeks later...

Shooting Winchester White box 180's in a Glock 23 for IDPA.

if you're shooting factory .40's, they're way overpowered. OTOH, factory 9's seem to be almost as close to the pf as I'd want to cut it. I'm sure that going with a heavier bullet and faster powder would make even a 9 feel better tho.