Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prefered Large Rifle Primer for use in AR10 and HK-91

caspian guy

All, looking for opinions on Large Rifle primers for loading 0-150yard blaster ammo for my DPMS LR308 (might also run some of this ammo through my H&K 91).

My normal primers for loading .308/.260 would be either the Federal GM210M or the CCI BR2 but using that stuff seems like a waste for this purpose.

plain old winchester large rifle worked fine for the HK91 clone I used to own. would also suggest a recoil pad and some ibuprophin for that one...

Ain't that the truth :roflol: Although, before I sold my HK91 I had www.trosusa.com make me a threaded adapter that went from the HK thread(m15 whatever) to 5/8x24 and I put a SJC Titan .308 comp on. It made a huge difference with recoil reduction just like it did on my friends AR-10. I had a PSG-1 trigger group, 1200meter sight and would have kept it for Heavy Metal division except for the damn thing ruins the brass. It ended up being something you didn't mind shooting extensively at all.

plain old winchester large rifle worked fine for the HK91 clone I used to own. would also suggest a recoil pad and some ibuprophin for that one...

Ain't that the truth :roflol: Although, before I sold my HK91 I had www.trosusa.com make me a threaded adapter that went from the HK thread(m15 whatever) to 5/8x24 and I put a SJC Titan .308 comp on. It made a huge difference with recoil reduction just like it did on my friends AR-10. I had a PSG-1 trigger group, 1200meter sight and would have kept it for Heavy Metal division except for the damn thing ruins the brass. It ended up being something you didn't mind shooting extensively at all.

/thread drift/

sounds like a good way to make that a more usable firearm (or at least more tolerable to shoot). I found my 91 clone to be just downright unpleasant to fire, had significantly more felt recoil (at least felt that way to me) than my 3 lb lighter bolt gun. My understanding is that this is because the HK's roller-locking mechanism required such high bolt veolcity for reliable extraction, so it really thumped you when the bolt carrier came to the end of it's travel. other downside is it simply mauled the brass and cast it to the four winds. literally, I'd find my brass dispersed within a 20-25 yard area to my right with no seeming rhyme or reason, and even if you could find it, it was often not reloadable because the case mouth had been so heavily deformed on ejection. by the time i got rid of it, i was only using cheap steel-case surplus because I didn't want to destroy any more good reloadable brass... doing it all over again, I'd just pick up a DPMS .308 and be done with it.

/resume original thread :rolleyes:/

Has anyone used the CCI #34 MilSpec primers? Would there be any reason to not use them? It's not that I am worried about slam fires but the extra safety is never a bad thing, right? Would the MilSpec primer hurt accuracy at all?(sorry if thats a dumb question!)

never used #34 but I do use #41's and groups often shrank especially when using ball powders. I called CCI and asked about them and they said that the #41's are magnum primers. only diffrence between 41 and 450 are the shape of the anvil. I would thing 34 is the same storey but cant say for sure.

• 5 years later...