Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pro and Con for slot in lifter

stoked4AA

I am finishing up my 930 build and at this time I cant decide for or against getting the D-Slot placed in my lifter. I know that I am sending my lifter to C-Rums to get welded. I can't decide if the slot has a purpose in the 930 lifter when welded or if it ic cosmetic. Does it help feed shells? Does it aid in loading?

Why have a slot added?

Anyone for or against slots in lifter?

Please reply if you have experience, please no hearsay.

thanks

I have a Winchester SX2 with a welded lifter and no slot and a Benelli M2 with a slot. I let one of my friends shoot the SX2 one night and he put a shell in the tube backwards, I don't even know how. A slot would have made removal much easier as a key or knife blade could have been put through the slot to help extraction of the round from the lifter area. I also think the slot would help guide the shell at least a little bit for loading.

Yep, I cut one in my SLP lifter after a double feed cost me a good 40 seconds to clear at Larue 3G last year. I also managed to load a shell backwards in my Benelli M2 one time on the clock. A quick jab from a knife or key will clear it.

Benny is right up to a point. the slot isn't in there just to guide shells, it is to LIGHTEN the lifter so the mass is easier to accelerate both up and more importantly down. The lifter spring is very small and fairly weak and it can only handle so much weight. If the lifter weighs too much you end up with problems. Thanks to Joe Satterfield (Whiskey1) for pioneering this!

Edited by kurtm

Benny is right up to a point. the slot isn't in there just to guide shells, it is to LIGHTEN the lifter so the mass is easier to accelerate both up and more importantly down. The lifter spring is very small and fairly weak and it can only handle so much weight. If the lifter weighs too much you end up with problems. Thanks to Joe Satterfield (Whiskey1) for pioneering this!

NOT ME.....but someone posted that the little bit of weight difference of a welded lifter is less than a 3" shotgun shell compared to a 2.75" shotgun shell. Looks cooler and helps for a double feed issue to me, but I will probably have it done to my lifter!!!

Well yes and NO!! The weight you just added is WAY past the fulcrum of where it moves!!! Any weight added out here decreases lifter velocity by AT LEAST 2X depending on length! while a few grams might SEEM insignificant...IT ISN'T! But hey don't believe me and later post why you are having malfunctions, and let everyone who doesn't know about this "help" you!!

Length should be about almost touching the back of a shell as it is held in the mag tube once welded up! KurtM

• 3 weeks later...

I'm probably starting to annoy people with all my blathering on about my 930, but I'm really excited about it. I blame Benny, finding out he was working on it was one of the things that turned me on to this gun :D .

I didn't cut a slot into my 930 lifter when I welded it up, and it's worked fine so far. I hadn't thought of using the slot to clear malfunctions though, I may have to reconsider. I've occasionally caused a double feed by farting around with the gun, and it's a pain to clear.

I don't have a before picture, but here's an after picture of mine. It's not as nice of a job as what a pro like

Benny would turn out but it works. For the stock one just imagine a half moon, dime sized cutout at the front:

IMG_1639.jpg