Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Protective Eyewear Video Wear

oxohhotxo

http://www.handsfreevideo.com/cart/

I have a pair of these I just started using. While they aren't the most protective, I feel pretty comfortable wearing them. The video quality is nice, and the uploading to PC couldn't possibly be any easier. The fit around the ears is a little bulky, so some muffs with a good amount of padding is nice, otherwise earplugs AND muffs will probably be needed. These are a little pricey, but one of the easier first person setups to use IMO.... and you dont have to mount a goofy camera on your head!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't imagine the quality is as good, but has anyone tried a pair of these? The price is good enough, it might be worth it just to try...

http://www.buy.com/prod/dcx-spy-cam-video-recording-sunglasses-with-1-3-megapixels-and-real/q/sellerid/23093153/loc/111/217643490.html

Ice Monkey has them for a whipping $20... Now I just have to try them out! :devil:

http://www.icemonkey.com/dcx-spy-cam-video-recording-sunglasses-with-1-3-megapixels-polaroid-lens-and-real-time-recording-capability

Edited by CiDirkona

• 2 weeks later...

actually I have a pair of these that i have shot the last three matches with and the quality is actually very good...be warned they will show you all of your stupid mistake and nasty habits lol....they are a little wide back by the ears but not too much of a bother..I have several videos that are waiting to be put on you tube but i havnt managed to put them up yet.

I can't imagine the quality is as good, but has anyone tried a pair of these? The price is good enough, it might be worth it just to try...

http://www.buy.com/prod/dcx-spy-cam-video-recording-sunglasses-with-1-3-megapixels-and-real/q/sellerid/23093153/loc/111/217643490.html

Ice Monkey has them for a whipping $20... Now I just have to try them out! :devil:

http://www.icemonkey.com/dcx-spy-cam-video-recording-sunglasses-with-1-3-megapixels-polaroid-lens-and-real-time-recording-capability

Interested in these here, heck of a price, but im sure the 'you get what you pay for' comes into play with that price. I'd like to get others opinions on these glasses. I may just pick some up too

I picked mine up from Speed Shooter Specialties last year. The video / audio is actually very good. You can hear your breathing and see most of your mistakes as noted earlier. 2 problems I ran into is that wearing just muffs you will not get a good ear seal so plugs are really needed. They also tend to sit a little low on my nose sometimes so I'll pick up my hands but miss the sights/target. So far rain has not been an issue and when shooting one match in a snow squal it was pretty cool to pick up the snowflakes.

I bought a pair similar to this off eBay. The lenses aren't very big, which I don't like. I may see about putting in bigger lenses for more protection. Records well enough. Just have to remember to turn them on before shooting and off after shooting. Not crazy about the gray lenses, I prefer clear. They don't fit well with ear muffs, either. Best part is they're really cheap, so if you don't like them, you haven't lost much money.

I have a set I purchased from Speed Shooters Specialties being delivered tomorrow. I wish I had researched them a little more. The ones I purchased were $160, the I-Kams. I ran a search to try to find the quality of video and see some of my old fishing suppliers have them for $99.00 and other places have them as low as $85. Kinda ticked me off. Do your homework!

I got my icemonkey set today. They seem VERY kludgey. Getting them to actually record is guesswork as the lights don't tell you much, and the engrish transration of the instructions is absolutely horrible. I was able, by chance, to get a few pictures taken and a few videos recorded, but completely by accident.

Also, it appears that ever time you turn it on, it wipes the entire memory! Turn it on ONCE and once only. Turn it on again and your stuff is gone. Granted, I haven't put a card in it yet, only using the internal 2gig, but I'm thoroughly unimpressed with these so far. Hopefulyl putting a microSD card in it makes it quite a bit nicer.

Also, there's some weird concept where to set the time, you copy a time.txt file to the root of the storage, turn it on, and it reads the file, deletes it and sets its own internal time. Very odd. Not quite sure I got my $16 bucks worth yet. Hopefully I can figure this thing out enough to use it. :angry:

Edittted to add: The Icemonkey and Thinkgeek camera glasses are NOT the same. However, the $185 set on eyeCord looks identical to the set I bought for $20 from icemonkey. That being said, some of the videos and instructions show a set with green, blue and red LEDs, mine only has red and green. The red LED also tends to go into this blinky state where it has a similar fast blink pattern as if it were writing to memory, but never really stops doing that, not matter what buttons I press afterwards. Not quite sure what the deal is with that.

Another edit to add: So it looks like the storage within the device without a card is only about 2meg, not 2gig, and the flashy red light is what happens when I run out of storage space. If I take quick, short videos, i can save them and download them off, but after a few seconds of recording, the red light gets all superblinky and nothing's saved on the device...

Edited by CiDirkona

The pair I have from eyecord comes with 3 lenses 4 gig micro Sd, card micro Sd adaptor.

Proper instructions, carry case, USB cable and charger, and cleaning cloth.

Also It's a hd 720p camera Looking at the one in ice monkey I can't tell if its hd or not.

I'm guessing its standard def and that why they're rebated so low.

Also they eyecord is really simple to use. On click hold to turn on (green light turns on) another click to start recording (green light will start flashing) one click to stop to stop, click hold to turn off.

I think this thing might work ok if I get that 2gig card in it that's sitting at home. I'm guessing since it's only storing items to the internal 2meg memory, that memory is wiped when it's powered on -- I hope. This definitely isn't HD, but for $20, I'm not expecting it to be. It's 1.3 megapixel, so it's most likely 320x240. If I can get this thing working, I'll definitely give some decent instructions on making it work. I love finding low dollar solutions.

Looks like I just wasted $20 bucks :angry:

I stuck the 8gig SD card out of my phone in it and it works great! Actually works like you'd expect. It doesn't delete the files every time, increments the picture and movie file names by number, makes decent pictures and movies -- although I'm not a huge fan of the time stamp in the movie. Setting the time is a bit odd too -- but don't worry. The thing works as expected -- it just acts VERY weird without an SD card in it.

I keep my office VERY dark, but here's some pudding proof for you. $20 icemonkey sunglasses DVR works decently so far, and is even HC-SD compatible (it'll take 8gb and 16gb cards, just not 2gig and below.)

Basic instructions:

Press the power button to turn on. The red light turns on, but the unit will be idle for 5-10 seconds.

To take a picture, press the power button once. The red light goes off and green light goes on for about 1 second while the picture is being taken. When the unit returns to ready, the Red light goes back on.

To take a video, press the 'play' button once. The red 'ready' light goes off, and the green light flashes rapidly for a few seconds. When the green light blinks slowly and steadily, its recording. Press the 'play' button again to stop recording. When the red LED lights again, it's ready again.

To power off, hold the 'power' button down for a few seconds. When you release the button, the ready light powers off.

To view the files, plug in a USB cable. The red light will illuminate right away, blink rapidly, then the green light will illiminate. Whenever it gets around to it, it'll mount itself as a usb drive. Browse to \DCIM\100DSCIM\ or 101DSCIM and enjoy! I think the flashing green light here means that it's charging, but I'm not 100% positive yet.

This recording is 640x480 from the $20 icemonkey set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jr37QDlN2Y

This unit basically looks like a dumbed-down version of the eyecord one. There look to be two different versions of the guts on these things. These are the cheap ones with not much video resolution, but the price is awesome. (icemonkey for $20 shipped) The HD video version can be had here for $76 shipped: http://www.bigbigeye.com/hd-720p-sexy-sunglasses-dvr-hidden-camera-p-75.html However, it still doesn't look like it comes with all the extra lenses and whatnot like the eyecord version comes with. Another thing I've noticed is that the HD versions have the blue LEDs, while the non-HD version uses green and red LEDs.

Edited by CiDirkona

• 2 weeks later...

Was given a pair of the cheaper ones with horrible directions for Christmas. Have worked pretty well so far, but I am using the cheap 8G micro-SD card that came with them. I have heard that putting a better quality card in them will helps as well.

If you let the batteries run out the time stamp will go back to the original one. The only way I found to change it is to use a text file.

"To change the date stamp you need to do the following:

Load the SD card into the glasses and then link to your PC with the USB cable. Next open a new Notepad file. Type the correct date and time in

the format 2010-12-09 21:30:00 for example. Use the format YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.

Anyway, save this file as time.txt onto the glasses memory. Now delete every other file, which is probably just the folder for storing the images.

The next time you record, it will use the date and time from your file but you’ll never see the file again as it seems to be deleted after being

read for the first time."

Worked on mine

$1.50 Head Cam -

If you have a compact digital cam that records vid, buy a short bolt that fits the tripod socket, punch a hole in the visor of an old hat, mount the cam to the hat with the bolt, then lock the cam down with a zip tie.

My Canon records HD vid with sound. Works great, no quirks or funky controls.