Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

rem 1100 problems

Law Dawg

I just got a new rem 1100 competition master and a friend of mine installed an easy loader on it. At the begginning, I shot several rounds with it and the bolt would lock back after the last shot was fired. Yesterday, I did some rapid fire shots with it and I noticed that the bolt wont lock back after the last shot. Has anyone had this prob and if so, how did you fix it? Thanks,

LD

I just got a new rem 1100 competition master and a friend of mine installed an easy loader on it. At the begginning, I shot several rounds with it and the bolt would lock back after the last shot was fired. Yesterday, I did some rapid fire shots with it and I noticed that the bolt wont lock back after the last shot. Has anyone had this prob and if so, how did you fix it? Thanks,

LD

How many rounds is 'several at the beginning', and what manufacture were they? It might be just a little dirty and need a little cleanning.

Why add the easy loader when the CM comes with the new longer button?

I know of many who are having to open the gas ports & put stronger mag. tube springs in these guns to get them to work.

The gun is brand new , so i know that it's not dirty. When i first got the easy loader installed on it, i shot about 4 rounds through it one at a time just to make sure that the bolt would lock back after every shot was fired and it did. When i fired 5 rounds rapidly, I noticed that the bolt wouldnt lock back. Now, it does it continuously.

TonyH. I agree with you, but my buddy swears that the easy loader is a real hot item that everyone that shoots serious 3 gun should have. I'm not so sure about that. Thanks,

LD

LawDawg,

Most new guns, especially the tempremental remmy range need at least 300-500 rounds through them before they start to get slicked up. I agree with Lynn that your easyloader is almost definitely the problem how its been installed - a great new alternative to the easyloader is available through www.armalon.com and will simply bolt on and off your trigger group instead of having to take it all to bits like the troubled easyloader.

It dont mess with the timing, function or loading of the gun and I highly recommend it - all for about $60 + PPfrom the UK. Its the only thing I will have attached to my 11/87 - trust me, I am a law dawg as well !

Mike

The Easy Loader has a camming surface which is used to unlock the carrier. During installation, this must be filed so that the carrier unlocks after the Easy Loader has been pressed about 2/3 of the way down. Unlocking too soon seemed to cause this, in my 1100. My carrier was unlocking about 1/4 down. After a couple of adjustments with the file, I no longer have the problem.

Perhaps this will help. Hope so.

Chuck

Lawdawg,

It’s the Easyloader. First, on an 1100-CM you don’t need it. The bigger button is what the Easyloader was to do and that’s open the carrier faster for feeding. It is not a guide for other goodies like Tec-Loaders.

Too, just ‘cause the gun is new doesn’t make it clean. Remington’s (and I love them to death) need two things to run reliably. They need to be clean and they need to be lubed. If the gun isn’t running, this a great place to start. After that, while I believe it’s the Easyloader, you can open up the ports a bit to help, but realize that there is a point of diminishing returns when you open the holes too much. Lastly, a well known USPSA 3G Nationals champ told me to do with this situation (as my gun does the same thing) is to lop the ears off of the Easyloader until it works. Basically, it’s too much weight on the flapper to allow the carrier to catch. Not in all cases, but it’s the case much of the time. I haven’t done this to my gun yet as SMM3G was about 2 weeks ahead of when I was told this and didn’t want to tinker with anything as everything was running, but will do so soon.

Bottom line. If you’re going to shoot Limited or Tactical, I would take the Easyloader off as it is completely unnecessary. If you plan on shooting Open, with an 1100-CM, I would probably still take it off, as with the significantly larger button, it negates the need for the Easyloader.

Benny will get you squared away. Good luck.

Rich

Mike and Bigdawg. I had the pleasure of shooting with Benny this Sunday at our first annual 3 gun match, and Benny Suggested the same thing you guys did. Now, I strongly beleive that the problem is the easy loader. I will take it off and replace it with the original one. Thanks for your help on this matter. You all were a big help.

LD

Well, I played with the two trigger/carrier assemblies of mine (the old one that fails to lock open when empty and the new one that locks open when loaded) and carefully watched how everything interacts with other parts.

On the old carrier, the EasyLoader had very little play before releasing the latched carrier. But I ground too much off the EL activating tab and it then required a stiff push well into the receiver, with some resistance, before it unlatched. So it was junk.

I removed the EL from the new carrier and placed it on the old carrier. The play seemed right. Its interaction with the latch seemed right, releasing well into its travel. Test firing single rounds locked open every time, and always after the last of multiple rounds. Then it ran perfectly the next day with about 35 shotshells and 24 slugs, always locking open when empty, never opening when loaded.

It's all about that spring-loaded carrier latch at the front of the trigger housing. It must have the correct engagement and release.

All it took was me shelling out $17 to order Patrick Sweeney's shotgunsmithing book (while I was ordering a new EasyLoader). I haven't even received the book, but it fixed my problems.

I only really cured the closed-while-empty problem with the old gun. I couldn't solve the new gun's open-while-loaded problem because I stole its EasyLoader to fix the old gun.

Not 3/4 travel, even less than 1/2 travel. (The instructions say something like 1/8 inch or something?) But you don't want a "hair trigger" on it. I think that was the problem with my old one; just the recoil and bolt momentum was enough to trip the carrier release and the bolt closed instead of locking open.

I was in the process of installing an Easyloader on my 1187 when this thread was started. I had the same problem with it not holding open, so I re read the instructions and, by filing the triangular wedge, a little at a time I extended the loaders travel until it was releasing in the last 1/8" of travel to the carrier.

It has worked perfectly since.

Good luck,

P.D.

Well, I'm back and I have bad news. I tried several things that were recommended and they didnt work. I cleaned the shotgun thinking that this might fix the prob, but it didnt work. After that, I opened up the gas ports a tiny bit and still no luck. I thought I'd try these things before taking off the easy loader completely, but now it looks like that thing is coming off. Nothing but problems after the EL was installed. I will be taking a trip to Corpus Christi Tx. real soon to have Benny take care of the problem for me. Thanks,

LD