Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Collet Bullet Puller

burket

I am currently using a kinetic hammer to remove bullets from casings. I am considering the Hornady Cam-Lock bullet puller. If I do get one (with the proper collets - 9mm & 40S&W), will I be able to mount it in station 1 (really any station) on the Dillon 550? (The Dillon is brand new - just started this year) Or do I need to consider a completely separate 1 stage reloading press?

I guess another question would be which Collet bullet puller I should really be looking at? The Hornady seemed to be what I thought I needed.

Thanks for any info.

Dillon 550 only has 4 positions. Don't think mounting a bullet puller on it would be a good idea.

Position 1: Resize/deprime/prime

Position 2: Case bell/Powder drop

Position 3: Bullet Seat

Position 4: Crimp

Only way would be to get a seat/crimp die freeing up slot 4. But then why would you want t bullet puller always on 4? Go with a single stage if you go that route. Different process = different tool.

Dillon 550 only has 4 positions. Don't think mounting a bullet puller on it would be a good idea.

Only way would be to get a seat/crimp die freeing up slot 4. But then why would you want t bullet puller always on 4? Go with a single stage if you go that route. Different process = different tool.

smile.gif

I may very well be mistaken but I believe the OP didn't intend to incorporate the puller into the loading process and giving up a position in doing so.

Can the 550 be used...yes. Is the Hornady puller a good one ...yes.

Single stage press is the way to go if you have one handy. If not, a spare toolhead and your 550 will be just fine. :cheers: And yes, the Hornady is one of the best and most popular collet-style pullers around right now.

smile.gif

I may very well be mistaken but I believe the OP didn't intend to incorporate the puller into the loading process and giving up a position in doing so.

Can the 550 be used...yes. Is the Hornady puller a good one ...yes.

yea...I guess if he had a spare 550 or another tool head to use, then absolutely...the 550 will work. I got confused reading and thought he wanted it mounted while reloading. Thanks for putting me on the right track.

I have the Hornady puller, and it works really well.....when you make a mistake!!! I put mine in one of my old single stage presses... You may want to pick one up, they can be had for very reasonable.------Metalguy

• 4 months later...

I am currently using a kinetic hammer to remove bullets from casings. I am considering the Hornady Cam-Lock bullet puller. If I do get one (with the proper collets - 9mm & 40S&W), will I be able to mount it in station 1 (really any station) on the Dillon 550? (The Dillon is brand new - just started this year) Or do I need to consider a completely separate 1 stage reloading press?

I guess another question would be which Collet bullet puller I should really be looking at? The Hornady seemed to be what I thought I needed.

Thanks for any info.

Every reloader should have a Lee Reloading Press (the little $30 one) for these types of operations. I could live without, but for the money--why would I?

I had wondered also how well the Hornady collet bullet puller worked on pistol rounds (never having used one or seen one "in person"). The kinetic always screws up the base of bullets in my experience and, with the cost of bullets, I hate throwing them away.