Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ok - now I'm realy embarrassed...

stinsonbeach

"bofe754" - yeah - guess I'll just pull'em both apart again & keep swappin' til they work!

"steviesterno" - women still wear bras?

-jb

ps I really appreciate hearing that I'm not the only one . . . hear that "Rolex"?

Yea, I'd tell him to "go wind your watch" or sompin.

HAY Wild Gene- you must be from the 30's- or something!

Rolex is like a fine tuned open gun-or don't you have one?

You don't wind them- just keep on ticking-Listen :P

Wild Gene

Have Dremel, will travel.

"bofe754" - yeah - guess I'll just pull'em both apart again & keep swappin' til they work!

"steviesterno" - women still wear bras?

-jb

ps I really appreciate hearing that I'm not the only one . . . hear that "Rolex"?

Yea, I'd tell him to "go wind your watch" or sompin.

HAY Wild Gene- you must be from the 30's- or something!

Rolex is like a fine tuned open gun-or don't you have one?

You don't wind them- just keep on ticking-Listen :P

Wild Gene

Have Dremel, will travel.

Actually, Rolex' are the absolute worst time keepers - they're notorious.

One Rolex (self winder), two Omega's (not self winders), and a gun from Derek on the way (auto loader...haha).

WAIT, did I detect a joke there, I apologize, I may have forgot to laugh, (Live from New York, it's SATURDAY NIGHT!). Actually there was another joke about winding your watch, I won't go there :roflol: .

Back to subject, let us know what you find with your pistols. :cheers:

Edited by Wild Gene

Guess there's no new info here.

"shooter57" - got'em both running. Pulled both of them apart. Put in new slide/return springs, new mainsprings, new leaf springs (sear springs), ground off the grip safety tang on the 5" - that was causing the leaf spring to cant - cleaned the crap outta'em & voila' both work like a charm. Raced the 6" today, but had problems w/ the ammo...too light for that big slide, so I came home & put a 15# in there & a buffer, as I didn't want that light spring to beat my gun bloody. They both work now I just gotta' tweak them...will up date first of the week w/ the "finished" results!

-jb

Monday - both work fine now! Interesting how it all shook out. My guess - & it is only a guess - was I mixed up the leaf springs & the one on my 5" was worn out & wouldn't contact the sear as it should. In any event, putting in the new sear spring & grinding off the grip safety tang put everything right. That said, all I care about is they work - both of them!

Thanks to all you guys who helped me. I appreciate it more than I can tell you...but don't go away, as I can guarantee I'll have more problems in the future! Thanks again.

-jb

Edited by stinsonbeach

Guess there's no new info here.

"shooter57" - got'em both running. Pulled both of them apart. Put in new slide/return springs, new mainsprings, new leaf springs (sear springs), ground off the grip safety tang on the 5" - that was causing the leaf spring to cant - cleaned the crap outta'em & voila' both work like a charm. Raced the 6" today, but had problems w/ the ammo...too light for that big slide, so I came home & put a 15# in there & a buffer, as I didn't want that light spring to beat my gun bloody. They both work now I just gotta' tweak them...will up date first of the week w/ the "finished" results!

-jb

Edited by stinsonbeach

Monday - both work fine now! Interesting how it all shook out. My guess - & it is only a guess - was I mixed up the leaf springs & the one on my 5" was worn out & wouldn't contact the sear as it should. In any event, putting in the new sear spring & grinding off the grip safety tang put everything right. That said, all I care about is they work - both of them!

Thanks to all you guys who helped me. I appreciate it more than I can tell you...but don't go away, as I can guarantee I'll have more problems in the future! Thanks again.

-jb

ps the ammo that works in the 5" gives me fits in the 6". The return spring & the extra weight of the slide should be taken into account especially when your loading "close to the bone" for major. I know you already do that, but it's not something we always think of first when problems arise.

all you have to do is retension the sear spring. What is happening is common when a sear spring ( the midlle leg) doesnt mount flush with the sear. it may need to be bent slightly rearward forward or rotated clockwise/counter clockwise. My apeiro does this to me from time to time... A new spring and flush contact will fix the issue. My gun smith put a litte bit more angle on one side of my sear than the other so I have to twist my leg just a tab countercloskwise keep good positive contact and keep the spring from slipping in front of the sear after a while.

Mat

Find a youtube video explaining all of this. That's how I did it the first time, Oh, and don't beat yourself up to bad. If you don't try, you won't learn. Some lessons must be paid for. :cheers:

+1 been there done that and not very fun expecially when you have a match the next day

all you have to do is retension the sear spring. What is happening is common when a sear spring ( the midlle leg) doesnt mount flush with the sear. it may need to be bent slightly rearward forward or rotated clockwise/counter clockwise. My apeiro does this to me from time to time... A new spring and flush contact will fix the issue. My gun smith put a litte bit more angle on one side of my sear than the other so I have to twist my leg just a tab countercloskwise keep good positive contact and keep the spring from slipping in front of the sear after a while.

Mat

I obviously mixed the leaf springs & the one w/ the longer sear spring got into the one that could have used the shorter one.

Duh - wa'd I just say?

Anyway(z) 2 new leaf springs fixed the problem...& as I said I ground off the grip safety tangs to disable the grip safeties - almost mandatory for racing & pinning is to problematic- & it stopped the sear springs from canting.

They both work flawlessly now.

Find a youtube video explaining all of this. That's how I did it the first time, Oh, and don't beat yourself up to bad. If you don't try, you won't learn. Some lessons must be paid for. :cheers:

+1 been there done that and not very fun expecially when you have a match the next day

That was exactly the case!

...& that made me really feel like a dumb-ass.

But I'll tell you this, I'll never have that type of problem again in any 1911!!!

-jb