Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SLP won't eject last dummy round

JMIS

I was practicing my reloads tonight and noticed that the last shell will not eject all the time when I clear the gun. I have to work the action a few times for it to catch the last shell. I added a plus one tube to it a few weeks ago. I shot 50 rds the other week with no problems.

Is this normal or is something wrong?

:cheers:

Is it a reloaded dummy shell or a commercial dummy round? The rims get banged up after being loaded and unloaded numerous times and eventually won't come out easily.

I'm using commercial dummy rounds. They are starting to show signs of wear.

My dummies won't cycle anymore either but my SLP still is shooting real shells fine. What I do now (and what I think ProA is referring to) is to eject them manually through the loading port.

If you flip your shotgun over and push the lifter down you can see what holds the shell in (sorry I don't know the correct terms for these parts). If you push from the inside of the receiver towards the outside right in front of the button that releases the bolt, the shell will eject right out the loading port.

After you know what you are doing you can do it by feel without flipping over the gun. It keeps the shells from getting beat up and you don't have to bend over to pick them up.

Are you cycling the rounds through the action to empty the gun? You don't have to with that gun. One of the nice things about it.

So you just unloaded by pushing the shell stop rather then cycling the action?

My dummies won't cycle anymore either but my SLP still is shooting real shells fine. What I do now (and what I think ProA is referring to) is to eject them manually through the loading port.

If you flip your shotgun over and push the lifter down you can see what holds the shell in (sorry I don't know the correct terms for these parts). If you push from the inside of the receiver towards the outside right in front of the button that releases the bolt, the shell will eject right out the loading port.

After you know what you are doing you can do it by feel without flipping over the gun. It keeps the shells from getting beat up and you don't have to bend over to pick them up.

I know what part you mean. I think it's called the shell stop.

That is correct, never cycle them thru the chamber. They will last longer since the extractor is not biting the brass.

This is where I like my Extrema over my SLP, I can pull out on the bolt release while pushing the lifter up and they will come right out.

Mildot

• 4 months later...

Is it better to dry fire practice and reload practice with commercial dummy rounds or with old spent shells? At $5 a dummy round, and after reading this thread, I am thinking it's more economical to save a few old spent shells each time I go shooting to use for practice.