Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 650XL with some issues (Operator Issues)

I got my 650XL assembled last night and I finished setting it up this morning. I managed to get 35 rounds that look like they are suppose to, problem is that was with 50 cases... (It got better towards the end.

First issue I had was the case not getting pushed all the way into station 1, after much frustration I determined that the loaded round ramp was interfering with the press. Thank you zip tie! Zip tie works great to get it out the way, but is there not rigged fix for this?

Second issue was I was having powder charges randomly not dropping or it was dropping a very small amount. Turns out I had the powder measure too tight, I loosened it up and it worked much better.

The next issue I had was I didn't seat some primers (3) in far enough. I started pushing forward twice, but quickly stopped that after the 3rd time I did it the case went flying across the room. So now I am just being extra careful that I push the handle all the way forward and so far so good.

I did have one case without a primer at all, I don't know what the solution would be for that?

I did have a bullet fall out of one case when the round hit the bin, but I have no clue why, every other round is tight and has the reloaded 9mm slight hourglass look. I may have had an issue at another station and not pushed down far enough on the crimp??? I am crimping to .378" which is slightly smaller than the brass before flaring (.380") and slightly larger than the factory ammo I checked (.375") I am also only flaring to .390", I know Dillon says to flare more, but the bullets line up quick and easy with the .010 of flare.

Now the problem that is driving me crazy, I spill powder everywhere! I am loading 4.5g of HP-38 which fills the case half way. Each movement I am losing powder. It leaks from the powder bar and jumps out the case!

The first load I am trying is 115g precision delta FMJ, 4.5g HP-38, 1.14ish OAL (I am getting anywhere from 1.35 to 1.43, I think it has to do with the shape of the bullets varying) I was going to load up a few 4.3g, and few 4.5g and a few 4.7g loads, but I probably have all 3 loaded up. 5 powder charges netted me 22.5 grains of powder, so that's what I am starting with.

Thanks for listening, and I am open to any tips and tricks.

Thanks

Under the shell plate is a detent ball with a spring under it. The spring is usually too strong from the factory causing the shell plate to 'jump' into position. Cut off half a coil from that spring and try again.Yuu may have also loosened the powder bar too much, it needs to be snug.

Edited by BritinUSA

When I say it comes out of the powder bar, it is resting on top of the rectangular piece that slides in and out of the measure. Its not coming out any other place from the powder measure.

Is cutting the spring the only way? It is really snapping into place to make a 1/2 full case spill.

First issue I had was the case not getting pushed all the way into station 1, after much frustration I determined that the loaded round ramp was interfering with the press. Thank you zip tie! Zip tie works great to get it out the way, but is there not rigged fix for this?

you need to tighten the shell plate down some more.

Loading 10gr of AA#7 in 9 mm qualifies me as an expert in powder slinging As Brit said you can cut some length off the detent ball spring, and tighten the shell plate. Now this is where I think you need a little additional instruction how tight?

Tighten the shell plate till it just barley drags when indexing, yes you can feel a slight amount of resistance as you raise the ram and push it forward, don't forget to tighten the set screw for the shell plate bolt.

Make a habit of checking and tightening the fail safe rod nut every time you add primers it works lose over time and will cause light or no powder charges.

Well I just got back from testing my first reloads. I had one FTE, but everything else went fine. Groups were good, I did notice more muzzle flash than shooting WWB, Blazer Brass or Federal ammo, I was shooting from an XDM 4.5".

I am going to try to load some more up later, trying to incorporate some of your tips. I don't think I am ready to cut the spring yet, but I will tighten the shell plate so it gives some more resistance. Now with the powder measure, should it turn freely or should it be snug enough to not turn at all.

Someone was nice enough to leave me around 500 rounds of .223 brass for me, so the trip was very successful in more than one way.

Well I just got back from testing my first reloads. I had one FTE, but everything else went fine. Groups were good, I did notice more muzzle flash than shooting WWB, Blazer Brass or Federal ammo, I was shooting from an XDM 4.5".

I am going to try to load some more up later, trying to incorporate some of your tips. I don't think I am ready to cut the spring yet, but I will tighten the shell plate so it gives some more resistance. Now with the powder measure, should it turn freely or should it be snug enough to not turn at all.

Someone was nice enough to leave me around 500 rounds of .223 brass for me, so the trip was very successful in more than one way.

Cutting the spring will help and its not really a big deal just cut a little at a time.

Sometimes I grab my next bullet and place it on the case on the way down (as the ram is lowered - and before it snaps into position) and use my fingers to control the shell plate as it enters the next position. You then control the speed of the shell plate entering into position and it helps keep the snap out of things.

You will almost certainly have to cut the spring. You might as well just do it and get over it. Everything else you will do will be around trying to get around it.

You can also add a shellplate bearing to smooth it out. I did it and it was a great improvement, along with the spring.

With all that powder around you need to keep the plate clean. Powder and lube can turn into concrete after a while. I keep compressed air handy just in case I have a spillage for some reason.

Now with the powder measure, should it turn freely or should it be snug enough to not turn at all.

The power measure should be snug the the powder die and shouldn't be able to rotate.

Ok, I had the powder measure where it wouldn't move and was told to loosen it on another board.... I thought it looked funny after a couple rounds so I put it tight again.

I ordered the parts from McMaster-Carr to put a bearing in, that looks like it will solve my problem with the powder. Dillon should probably include the bearing with the 650 if it works as good as they say it does...

Ok, I had the powder measure where it wouldn't move and was told to loosen it on another board.... I thought it looked funny after a couple rounds so I put it tight again.

I ordered the parts from McMaster-Carr to put a bearing in, that looks like it will solve my problem with the powder. Dillon should probably include the bearing with the 650 if it works as good as they say it does...

I have the bearing, and it probably helps enough to justify the purchase but its not a fix all.

When I say it comes out of the powder bar, it is resting on top of the rectangular piece that slides in and out of the measure. Its not coming out any other place from the powder measure.

Is cutting the spring the only way? It is really snapping into place to make a 1/2 full case spill.

what you describe has nothing to do with the detent-ball spring. Need to take a closer look at the powder measure/hopper itself. Something is not right there if powder is ended up on *top* of the powder-bar.

what you describe has nothing to do with the detent-ball spring. Need to take a closer look at the powder measure/hopper itself. Something is not right there if powder is ended up on *top* of the powder-bar.

The OP had/has two separate issues.

I had the same problem with powder jumping out as the shell plate rotated (650). I put my index finger on the shell plate and "ride" it to the next station. If I remember correctly I took a whole coil off the spring beneath the shell plate

When playing with the spring and shellplate yesterday I didn't get any more powder on the powder bar. I don't know how it got there in the first place.

I installed the bearing and cut a coil off the ball detent spring. It improves things, but I think I might need to cut a little more off the spring. I do have an issue now where the finished round will occasionally hang up on the wire now. I probably just need to bend it just right.

I loaded 100 rounds and everything went bang, I had two Failure to feeds towards the end of my session, but I think my magazines may have caused it.

You should not need to bend the wire. Just hold it down while you tighten the shell plate bolt.

Hold it down? It is riding on top of the washer, and the slight elevation causes the occasional case to hang up on it. I am not sure how it can be held down anymore.

You should just put a little "bow" in the wire. It is a common change that's needed when you put on the bearing and washer. I just held mine in each hand and bowed it with my thumbs - just a little.