Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poly frames in major 9

Too Eazy

I was wonderong if factory polymer framed pistols such as G17, SW MP9, SR9 or the XD 9 were adequate for major nine? Does anyone use them? Are they safe? I was thinking of using my SR9 for this. I'm waiting for a smith I know of who is working on some extended barrels and already has a sight mount, a mag well and other race gun goodies ready for this pistol he just has to figure out pricing for the barrels. I have a few 1911 style pistols but they are all .45 single stacks so I'm thinking the SR9 because I already jave it and I don't have scratch for a new pistol AND accessories. Thanks a lot guys!

I can only speak of the G17. Yes, correctly assembled, using well crafted ammo, great comp and dot you'll have something vastly exceeding adequate given practice. A lot of practice. Super quick, flat and light. If you are recoil sensitive (harsh and straight back) you might look at other solutions. Other than the monkey on the bang button the gun itself has been flawless after a solid year of weekly + matches.

Jim

I appreciate that. Thanks Jim! Have you noticed any unusual wear on your G17? I'm thinking the cam block pins might be a potential weak point of my SR9. It looks like those pins take the brunt of the recoil. I've never heard of them breaking but I've really never seen one used for open major. If my SR9 isn't going to work or requires to many one off pieces I'm just going to have to save a little money and go with the G17.

Tanks, Mike out.

By the way the "Monkey on the bang button" part had me laughing pretty goog. Thanks again.

Edited by Too Eazy

Most of the recoil you feel will be while the barrel and slide are still locked together. By the time the bullet clears the comp, and the slide unlocks from the battery, the compensator will have taken a lot of the steam out of a 9 Major load. Some compensators are designed to eliminate muzzle rise at the expense of recoil straight back into your hands. Other models strike a compromise between venting gas up to reduce muzzle rise, and venting some gas to the rear to reduce recoil. It's up to you what design you use. Either way you will probably have to go with a lighter than factory recoil spring to get the slide to function. Comps need lots of gas to work so you will need a light, fast bullet. The right combination will shoot very flat (and a little harsh) with the light Glock polymer frame.

Note... if you go too light on the recoil spring you may also have to go with a lighter Wolff stiker spring to keep the factory striker spring from pulling the slide out of battery. A lighter striker spring may require a lightened striker to ensure good primer hits with the lighter striker spring.

This is starting to sound like a childrens story I used to read my son... "If you give a mouse a cookie, he's gonna want a..."

Edited by wmspdi

Well thanks a lot fella's! This is the main reason I joined this forum. Lots of knowledgeable people. I was wondering about the spring issue. I already have a light striker spring and was wondering about the main spring. Any good comp recommendations? I'm not recoil sensitive at all. I've shot buffalo bore 115 gr +p+ and thats supposed to be about 1400 fps and they weren't to uncomfortable. Again thanks for helping someone new.

Mike

I used to shoot a XDm 40 thats built for open and considered converting it to 9mm so i talked to the guy at springer precision he said that xdm's wont handle much more than 170pf so you have to be carefull with your loads :)

I used to shoot a XDm 40 thats built for open and considered converting it to 9mm so i talked to the guy at springer precision he said that xdm's wont handle much more than 170pf so you have to be carefull with your loads :)

Did they say say why they won't handle much more then 170 pf? My brother shoots an XD45 and it seems pretty stoutly built. I don't really like XD's (mainly how high the bore axis is and HIS is super ammo sensitive, even with factory ammo it stove pipes with anything but 230 gr ball) but they seem pretty beefy. Makes me wonder about the SR9... When the barrel is ready for the SR9 I think I'm gonna build it I just need to figure out what comp will be a good chioce. Any help would be nice. I've never owned a comped gun so I have no idea what works..

Thanks, Mike out.