Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Class 3 question/issue

bisonresq

Hey all,

I traded for a suppressed rifle at Wanenmacher's waaaaaay back last November to a Class 3 dealer in another state. According to him, he is STILL waiting on the approval to transfer to a class3 dealer here in OK. Anyone else had any experience with this? The way I understand it, once he gets that approval I will have to wait another time period to get approved to take delivery from my in-state class 3. Is this supposed to be a 6 month process??

Sorry for the random post. Wasn't sure where to put this question.

Hey all,

I traded for a suppressed rifle at Wanenmacher's waaaaaay back last November to a Class 3 dealer in another state. According to him, he is STILL waiting on the approval to transfer to a class3 dealer here in OK. Anyone else had any experience with this? The way I understand it, once he gets that approval I will have to wait another time period to get approved to take delivery from my in-state class 3. Is this supposed to be a 6 month process??

Some one has dropped the ball badly. The longest I have ever heard that it took ATF to approve a transfer from a class 3 dealer in one state to another class 3 dealer is 45 days and this type of delay is usually becasue of lots of government folks out at Christmas.

Check and see if the license for your class 3 dealer is current. If he or she is on a temporary renewal pending receiving a new license, BATF may not be approving the transfer but I am not sure that this is the case.

There is a wait for form 3s, but that seems too long. I'd give the NFA branch a shout, they're good folks and are pretty helpful for government employees. All you need is the serial number of the gun and they can look up the status of the transfer. 304 616-4500 is the number, just tell them you want to check the status of a form 3 and they'll ask you the serial number.

DanO

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

Was the item on a form 4 or form 3. A form 3 dealer to dealer transfer should take about a month. If it was on a form 4 it could take four or five months or longer. The fact that it's transferring to a dealer means nothing if it's on a form 4. The really sad thing is that a lot of the wait time is determined on whose desk the forms land on. I would try to call BATF to check the status. They may or may not give you any information. At this point you are not the transferee. Your dealer may need to call. I would be talking to both dealers at this point.

After it gets to your dealer it will have to transfer to you. That means another four or five month wait. Write your own check for the transfer and mail the forms yourself. When you see that the check has cleared you know that it's in the system.